Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell JawStand for workshop - usable with a wheelchair?

JawHorse and JawStand arrived today. I am wrecked from unboxing everything so I can't write about them today but I will as soon as I can.

Okay, very tired but was anxious to try the JawHorse so I did. I was able to manhandle it from my chair and get it fully set up. It's heavy, 42lbs. So your mileage may vary. I was already wrecked and now I feel worse but I am also excited to know that I can do it. To see about access from my chair I put a piece of plywood in the vise and cantilevered it out towards me. Yep, easy to get the chair in close. The table is also stable. It did arrive damaged. FedEx was a NIGHTMARE. The box was beat to hell and coming open and when I got the JawHorse out I could see that the flat top opposite the jaws was badly damaged on one end, bent and even has some tiny cracks. I can't return it, it was all I could do to get it unpacked, so I'll be living with that. But the other thing is that two of the legs have rubber pads riveted in. On one leg they are totally missing so it's just bare metal touching down. I don't know if they broke off in shipping or were never installed. I will contact Rockwell next week and talk to them. I'll see if they can send me a set of the rubber feet. I've got a rivet gun and can install them. If they can't help out then I will try and figure something else out.

Oh, the pedal for the vise. I did use it with one leg, putting some weight down and it seemed to hold well. I haven't tried pushing down on it with my hand yet. I think that might work. Don't know. I'm bummed the JawHorse is damaged on arrival but that's part of life and part of my life to not send things back. I never return things because it's too hard. The JawStand arrived today too and it's perfect, no damage. It's also relatively lightweight - 15lbs. Haven't messed around with it too much yet. Tomorrow may be a total rest day since I did so much today - unpacking was one thing, cutting up all the boxes and packing and putting them in the garbage was another. What exercise did I do today? This ;-)

I can tell you that pushing the locking pedal by hand works well and whatever is between the jaws is clamped tight. Releasing it by hand is easy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    I can tell you that pushing the locking pedal by hand works well and whatever is between the jaws is clamped tight. Releasing it by hand is easy as well.
    I tried that yesterday and yep, it worked fine. Getting a little easier to set up the stand. It's heavy so I need to figure out the right technique. I will.

Thanks for the review
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Rockwell JawStand -

Just finished messing around with the little brother of the JawHorse. Actually they are very different tools but both are workstands so ..

Yesterday I went to Ross and picked up a large wooden cutting board. I meant to use it as a table I could cantilever off the stand. I just tried it. I attached on top of the JawStand, to the top, using C clamps. Mounting it so that looking down you would see an L configuration the board did come over my lap and gave me pretty good access from my chair. The height is okay. I would like it to be a little lower, maybe I can figure how to do that later. The access was good but the stand does become pretty tippy. Nothing I can't keep an eye on - it's not suddenly going to fly out from under but it can move. Also, there is a fair bit of flex in the JawStand head with the board levered so far from center. I put my Spyderco knife sharpener on and sharpened a knife. Niether the flex or the tippiness was a problem. I did wonder about putting anything heavy on top though like my bench grinder. That weighs a lot. The legs of the JawStand have extended flat feet that I think would wedge well under something heavy and I've been thinking about that.

The JawHorse is heavier and I am working on trying it out. It really is what I hoped to use primarily for heavy loads. I've thought of getting a large board, attaching 2x4 segments underneath perhaps with T Nuts and clamping down on the 2x4s. I think this should give me pretty good purchase and since the JawHorse is three times the weight of the JawStand I think it could take the weight of a heavy woodworking tool. It's an experiment waiting to happen. Ironically my local pseudo builder's supply does not sell 2x4s. Argh. Don't know when I will be able to get some from a proper lumber yard. There is one across town but that's it's own adventure.

Something I want to say so far about Rockwell - very nice people. I was on the phone with them before I bought and they were patient and helpful. After the sale and one of items (JawHorse) arrived damaged I spoke to them again. The fellow at Rockwell immediately planned to send me a replacement. I said I appreciated that but it was so hard for me to unpack the last one, could he just send me the rubber feet that were missing from one leg and I would live with the FedEx damage otherwise. He pressed the idea of a replacement but seemed to want to do what I wanted to do so he is sending me the feet. I will rivet them on when they arrive.

I will report more when.. I have more to report :-)

Nice to hear about good customer support!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Well, I've had a couple of weeks now with he Rockwell stuff and I've used it so I think I can add some. From a chair setting up either is a little difficult and needs some technique. The JawStand is only 15lbs so I can manhandle it without too much trouble though getting the legs spread is annoying since I get caught between them (me and the chair). Once standing it's easy enough to use though I wish I understood the vise better before I got it. It has a small range, seems meant to fit a 2x4 or something close. I think the smallest it will clamp to is 1". I did use it to help me with a door that had been bugging me for years.

I brought the JawStand in to the bathroom and clamped it to the handle end of the door. I raised the stand up using the crank to get some lift on the door. Then I was able to take the expandable hinges off the door and door frame. I bought them years ago to give me better clearance in to the bathroom but when I first put them in, to make it easier for me I installed them on the door frame then pushed out the pins and mounted the other pieces to the door, lined up the door with the frame and pounded the pins back in. It made a terrible ruckus and I couldn't force the pins all the way. They've stuck out all this time. Yuck.

The JawStand supported the door well when I removed the hinges and I brought the hinges over to the JawHorse where the vise clamped down on them really well. I pounded the pins all the way in and the JawHorse didn't even tremble. Maybe because it's so heavy it took the hammering easily. Released the vise with the push handle and bringing the hinges back to the bathroom I reinstalled everything, finally taking the door off the JawStand. I felt like that one chore meant the Rockwell stuff paid itself off.

I've been able to use both for other things as well. With the 44lb JawHorse, I need some technique, muscle and patience to get it hauled out and opened up. The more I do it the more I seem to get a rhythm. I made a workshelf to use with the JawStand and Jawhorse. I got a piece of shelving and attached a equal length 2" piece of wood underside for support and to give the vice something to grip. I used T-nuts to attach the wood, cut the bolts flush with a rotary tool and ground them smooth and slightly under level with an aluminum oxide grinding stone. The table works. I mount it cantilevered and can get my chair under it with the JawStand and though it can get tippy I keep my eye on it and I realize I could probably jam one of the stand's feet under something heavy if I really needed to. With the JawStand I can swing the table out of my way in two directions and that's pretty nice. The problem is the flex in the JawStand post. It does move and I can't see a way around that. I can use the shelf with the JawHorse and nothing moves but it's pretty high then and not quite what I need.

Glad I got both, good for different things and still not exactly what I want/need, especially the clamp on the JawStand but it's a good start. I may figure something out, something that I can attach to the JawStand that will allow me to hold my Icon at eye level so I can work on it. It's one of the reason's I got the stand but I can't so far figure out a way to clamp the Icon frame. Suggestions appreciated.

A last note. The Rockwell stuff is worth the price. It's not the best but it is well designed and made of good materials. The assembly on the JawHorse had all sorts of misses. Like missing screws, a missing riveted rubber foot on one leg - better quality control would solve the problem. Rockwell offered to replace the JawHorse with a new one (I mentioned in earlier post) but I didn't think I could go through all that packaging again so I asked for and received replacement rubber feet. Several in fact. None of them were like the one already installed on one leg but they were larger and I think better. Needed a different hole pattern so I drill and fitted a new foot and riveted it. Looks good and works well.

What I really want is an articulate arm that would let me hold heavy stuff over my lap so I can work on it. Stuck for ideas just now, my clamped in shelf piece is as far as I've gotten.

I would recommend either or both Rockwell stands.

Nice review!

Articulating arm idea.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Nice review!

Articulating arm idea.
    Thank you. And thank you for the link. That seems like what I have been imagining. I am looking at lots of stands like this one now. So many choices. Trying to find the stands that can take the heavier weights and extend the farthest. It seems that many of them go to about 20 inches.