Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell JawStand for workshop - usable with a wheelchair?

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I use a Rockwell Jawstand XP, but I stand to use it. Tomorrow I'll try it from my chair and see how friendly it is.
    That's what I bought, the newer one with the 2inch additional adjustment. I am a stander too but I can't do it for long. I do great sitting down. Using tools standing up has been taking too much out of me so I am happy for anything that lets me work from my chair. I think both of my stands will arrive in about a week and I'll find out how well I can use them from the chair. The legs are my concern of course. If they turn out to be a problem then my solution is to mount some wood and move it 90? and so have a cantilevered shelf or do the same with whatever I am working on. Bit of a side note - Rockwell is shipping FedEx, argh. I have so much trouble with FedEx. UPS is good. Oh well. The little one is 15lbs and the big one 43lbs. I'll have to bear wrestle it out of the box.

I will appreciate any tips you come up with.

Let us know how it goes if you would Grommet.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Let us know how it goes if you would Grommet.
    I will, at least I hope I remember to. I forget things pretty easily. My girlfriend reminds me if I've eaten. But I am excited about these new tools so I think I will remember.

My Jawstand is supporting some lumber, so I didn't try using it from my chair yet. Because you are awaiting arrival of your own, I'll wait.

Yes, please tell us how you like using it from your chair.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

It's supposed to arrive next Thursday, maybe Friday. When I can start using it I will try and report back. Wheelchairs are great. I didn't know that until I first began using one and suddenly things got better but, they really get in the way. I can never get right up to something unless it's designed accessible. So I am hoping to figure something out with the Rockwell stuff. I am still thinking that the tool legs will be a problem but then I think cantilevering the work out in front of me might work. If it doesn't, well it's another experiment and at least I tried. Now I need to save up and get my crutches. They come in a cool blue and they fold. Off-topic I know.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    It's supposed to arrive next Thursday, maybe Friday. When I can start using it I will try and report back. Wheelchairs are great. I didn't know that until I first began using one and suddenly things got better but, they really get in the way. I can never get right up to something unless it's designed accessible. So I am hoping to figure something out with the Rockwell stuff. I am still thinking that the tool legs will be a problem but then I think cantilevering the work out in front of me might work. If it doesn't, well it's another experiment and at least I tried. Now I need to save up and get my crutches. They come in a cool blue and they fold. Off-topic I know.
    You could weigh down the Jawstand foot opposite your cantilever to keep it in place. On what kinds of things do you work?

What crutches (link)?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

You could weigh down the Jawstand foot opposite your cantilever to keep it in place. On what kinds of things do you work?

What crutches (link)?
    I work on small fix-it projects, my chair, making things I need and some bigger things like cutting acrylic sheet. Lots of things. What I've needed most is something stable to hold the material I am working on. I hadn't thought about weighing down a leg on the stand, from what I understand it's quite stable but I've never handled one so I don't know. Will find out soon.

Walk Easy Folding adult forearm crutches w/full cuff Model 479

http://www.walkeasy.com/shop/product...roductCode=479

The Jawstand is quite stable, but a heavy cantilevered load may make it tippy.

Nice crutches - hope you can get them soon.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

The Jawstand is quite stable, but a heavy cantilevered load may make it tippy.

Nice crutches - hope you can get them soon.
    Yes, I have wondered about the JawStand getting tippy but I noticed the legs are spread pretty wide also, I ordered the JawHorse at the same time so maybe I can use that. It's three times heavier so maybe more stable.

I like those crutches too. I don't know when I can get them. I spent a lot of money on tools. It's just that as I am getting older I am appreciate access more and more so on the chance I can find a way to make it easier I am going for it. I've also thought about putting a board between the two pulling my chair under and working like that. Next week I will see. Hope I can more that heavy JawHorse around.

On the crutches, I really just need them for going to the movies. I don't enjoy watching movies from the wheelchair seats, the view is lousy in my opinion. So I like to leave my chair in the accessible area and move up to the main seats. It's gotten too hard doing it with a cane. We don't go to the movies often but I thought the crutches might be a good idea and being able to fold them would help. I'll see.

Next week all the Rockwell stuff arrives, hey new tools :-)

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    . . . hey new tools :-)
    YEAH - always love new tools!!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>