Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rockwell JawStand for workshop - usable with a wheelchair?

Park is the defacto standard as far as I know, but I think fairly pricey. They have some that are bench and wall mounted http://www.parktool.com/category/repair-stands
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

elarson Thank you for the link, I have been looking that the Park. They are very nice but too expensive, starting around $200 U.S. I have seen some on eBay for $35. They might not work at all but I guess I would either try one of the cheaper ones or try to figure something out with wood. The problem is, I don't have access to lumber. If I could get some 2x4 (a standard board in the U.S.) I think I could shape something. It's not an urgent thing but it sure would be nice eventually to be able to have my chair at waist level to work on. Of course being able to hold it at that level and rotate it in any direction would be really nice but I would have to pay for that. The Park clamps/stands sure do look nice.

I saw some of these on Amazon much cheaper. http://www.conquerequipment.com/bike-repair-stands.html
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I saw some of these on Amazon much cheaper. http://www.conquerequipment.com/bike-repair-stands.html
    Those are the less expensive ones I have been looking at. Some of the reviews talk about them moving around a bit. If I get one, I think I would get one of these. I know buying the best, like the Park stands, is always the best way to go but money is always a factor for me and sometimes the less expensive stuff works too. One thing at a time :-)

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Those are the less expensive ones I have been looking at. Some of the reviews talk about them moving around a bit. If I get one, I think I would get one of these. I know buying the best, like the Park stands, is always the best way to go but money is always a factor for me and sometimes the less expensive stuff works too. One thing at a time :-)
    Has anyone done this? A bike is balanced on those clamps, while a chair would have to be held canti lever style and I wonder if the clamp would be strong enough.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Has anyone done this? A bike is balanced on those clamps, while a chair would have to be held canti lever style and I wonder if the clamp would be strong enough.
    I've thought about that. I don't know any perfect solutions. With wheelchairs/disability equipment, I find I have to experiment and see. Almost nothing is really made for wheelchairs. They're normal to us but to the world in general, they don't have much experience with them. It would be an experiment to try a bike clamp holding all that weight, as you pointed out, cantilevered. If it doesn't work, try some other way. Usually after I make something really complicated and spend a lot of time on it I finally see a really simple solution. Wish life didn't have to be that way ;-)