Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone can advice good daily diet?

Anyone can advice good daily diet?

I am trying to recover at home.
    I do exercise every day with my son's help. But I think I should have a good daily diet/menu that good for my recovery too.
    I apriciate all advice.
    Anyone can give me? Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Alfietthompson; 08-13-2015 at 07:59 PM.

A good balanced diet that is low in refined sugars, low in saturated fats, and high in protein, and contains 30 gm. of dietary fiber is recommended for everyone. There is no special diet for people with SCI.

(KLD)

KLD is right on target. Lean protein, fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lots of water are what you need. Think "whole or clean" foods. Most processed and canned foods are loaded with salt or sugar and you do not need them. If you are eating whole grains, whole fruits and veggies (cutting them up is fine but you want fresh to start with), you will get the fiber you need without having to worry about it. Instead of having a glass of orange juice, eat the orange segments. Berries are great and easy, as are bananas, broccoli, beans (dried not canned), brown rice. It means someone needs to do food prep and cooking so if you are not able to do it at this time, you need some one who can.

The less processed you food is, the better it is for you. You need a little salt in you diet but processed food has too much. You need to think 1 teaspoon per day. A box of kosher salt lasts me a year and it is all I use, and I bake so I need to use it then or the right chemical reaction will not happen.

Limit caffeine and alcohol as they have no real nutritional value. Coffee can help with bowel programs but you have to be careful. The sugar and cream will do you more harm than the stimulant will do you good. Black coffee or un-sweet tea does have benefits but most people do not drink them that way, and the acid in both is not good in extremes.

You do need some fats but again, keep it clean. Olive oil, grapeseed oil, walnut oil are great for salad dressings. Animal fat not so good. Think chicken, fish and the occasional lean beef. Unsalted nuts are good in moderation as they have protein and clean fat.

The key is variety. Eat the colors of the rainbow. This makes sure you not only get a variety of nutrition, but you do not get bored.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

You can go to www.eatwelllivewellwithsci.com The webs site owners have written a very thorough book on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    You can go to www.eatwelllivewellwithsci.com The webs site owners have written a very thorough book on the subject.
    Thank you so much Uncle Peter.
    This book is really helpful. It provide me more necessary information with a number of practical nutritional guides written specifically for people with spinal cord injuries. I am planning to create a healthy daily menu for me based on this book.

Quote Originally Posted by ekephart View Post
    KLD is right on target. Lean protein, fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lots of water are what you need. Think "whole or clean" foods. Most processed and canned foods are loaded with salt or sugar and you do not need them. If you are eating whole grains, whole fruits and veggies (cutting them up is fine but you want fresh to start with), you will get the fiber you need without having to worry about it. Instead of having a glass of orange juice, eat the orange segments. Berries are great and easy, as are bananas, broccoli, beans (dried not canned), brown rice. It means someone needs to do food prep and cooking so if you are not able to do it at this time, you need some one who can.

The less processed you food is, the better it is for you. You need a little salt in you diet but processed food has too much. You need to think 1 teaspoon per day. A box of kosher salt lasts me a year and it is all I use, and I bake so I need to use it then or the right chemical reaction will not happen.

Limit caffeine and alcohol as they have no real nutritional value. Coffee can help with bowel programs but you have to be careful. The sugar and cream will do you more harm than the stimulant will do you good. Black coffee or un-sweet tea does have benefits but most people do not drink them that way, and the acid in both is not good in extremes.

You do need some fats but again, keep it clean. Olive oil, grapeseed oil, walnut oil are great for salad dressings. Animal fat not so good. Think chicken, fish and the occasional lean beef. Unsalted nuts are good in moderation as they have protein and clean fat.

The key is variety. Eat the colors of the rainbow. This makes sure you not only get a variety of nutrition, but you do not get bored.--eak
    Dear Ekephart,
    I appreciate your advice. These infomation is useful.
    To be honest, I used to drink beer. I've just stopped drinking beer two month. Unfortunately, I am a big fan of black coffee. I always drink two cups of coffee everyday. Do you think I have to give coffee up?
    If I can drink coffee, How much coffee could I drink?

I drink 4-6 mugs a day. As long as you have no side effects from caffeine such as sleeplessness or a rapid heart beat enjoy it. Coffee is one of the few beverages that may be good for you. Read: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270202.php As long as you limit the use of sugar, do not worry about coffee.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

AlfieThompson, my boyfriend is the same as you. He used to drink coffee (He is SCI for two year).
    Dear SCIfor55yrs, I always think caffeine is not healthy, so I have to stop my boyfriend using it. Maybe I wrong?

I enjoy a cup of coffee a couple times a week. I drink two cups of tea a day, and they are very enjoyable moments. I don't think two a day is that bad for a person.

maybe we could have pictures of peoples favorite healthy meals.