Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leg bag discretion

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    I hate them but.. I use a bedside bag 2000 cc all the time even going out I hate but... its just me alone I hook it to cushion cover shove unde chair and pretend
    Just had a thought (I'm not a woman, just trying to help) what about using an old purse to put the bag in, then hang it from the chair? If the tubing was routed discretely who'd know? A small purse would work for a leg bag. The purse handles would make it easy to manage too. At least you wouldn't have to worry about it getting stolen. lol

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    I hate them but.. I use a bedside bag 2000 cc all the time even going out I hate but... its just me alone I hook it to cushion cover shove unde chair and pretend
    I pretty much went to the bedside bag full time. For me the benefits included not having to bend forward to open the drain on the bottom of the leg bag after picking up my leg to put it on the side of the toilet. (and hoping it didn't slide in) Also a big plus is now I am able to drink as much as I need to without having to worry about can I get into the bathroom when I am out. 28 years ago there is no way I would have left my apartment with one of those on but with the advent of drain bag covers as well as tubing covers having the thing on display is no longer an issue. It hangs under the chair, behind my legs, in a bag that covers the drain bag fully. As for the tubing I have several covers with either velcro or snaps down the middle so I can get the cover around the tubing without having to disconnect the tube from the catheter. I can also choose which tube cover I am using so it will blend in with either my black or navy blue pants. And I have no expanding football attached to the side of my leg attracting attention.

lol
    I have a caregiver who was giving me this idea while I was reading your suggestion. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweeds View Post
    Just had a thought (I'm not a woman, just trying to help) what about using an old purse to put the bag in, then hang it from the chair? If the tubing was routed discretely who'd know? A small purse would work for a leg bag. The purse handles would make it easy to manage too. At least you wouldn't have to worry about it getting stolen. lol
    HAHAHAHA. sorry. you just reminded me about a time i was waiting in the hospital and saw a dazed woman in a WC with a giant 2000 ml night drainage bag in her lap. it fell in the floor, and an EMT walking by picked it up, handing it to her and said, "excuse me ma'am, you dropped your purse."

Quote Originally Posted by tinern View Post
    I am a cervical 4-5 quadriplegic since 1993. I am new at using a indwelling Foley catheter with a leg bag.
    Does anyone have any tips they can share with me about making the tubing from the catheter to the leg bag as discrete as possible.
    Women's pants are more fitted, especially with the popularity of leggings. I try to think that I am not vain, but?.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    well, i've always been vain to some degree and i'll admit it. tight clothes like leggings have always been a problem, so here's what i do. you just have to be really careful (in other words, i wouldn't do it to go out drinking because chances of problems that way are much higher). you find a good clamp, i mean a really good one. i have a screw-down metal one that's at least 35 years old that a nurse in rehab gave me specifically for this reason. i would just clamp the bag off and maneuver the tubing around somewhere. for some people, clamping it off at intervals is preferable anyway, because it keeps the bladder more elastic. you just don't want it to overfill. then at a certain time, i'd go to the bathroom and empty it in a urinal. (i'd put one in a bag on the back of my chair, under my back pack so it couldn't be grabbed without going for it specifically). this is why straight cathing is something i started doing about 8 years after i was sent home with a foley. you can wear better clothes, it's also a much bigger hassle to go to the bathroom. but as long as you watch it and have a really good clamp and keep an eye on your intake, this works well. i wouldn't do it every day, but if you really want to get dressed up and the clothes are prohibitive, you can kind of get around it once in awhile.