Thread: rt300 questions

rt300 questions

Those who use an rt300, do you know what restorative therapies has set the power going to the electrodes at? When I did my training (over Skype), the therapist increased the power on the quadriceps and hamstrings up to 300 W (Watts?). She left the glutes where they were. Curious if it would be of any benefit to increase the power. Where it is set now, not causing any redness.

What kind of power are your legs producing? I just finished my 11th session, legs start out at just over 4 W, but the number falls down pretty quickly. I had been averaging about 1.4 W when the machine goes into cooldown after 32 minutes. The last time I used it, for an experiment I stopped at 12 minutes and 24 minutes and let my legs rest for 60 seconds. This time the average power went up to 1.77 W.

If I see some benefits over the next six months or so, thinking of adding some more channels to include calf muscles and abdomen. Has anybody had positive results on the abdomen?

Where do you get your new electrodes? Came across a website called wisdomKing.com, anybody know if they are legit?

It's been a while since I've worked with the restorative therapies clinicians, but I think that you have to work with them to change the individual settings for your muscles. There are only a few values that can be adjusted for each muscle set, and the Maximum Stimulation is what they will usually adjust to get more push out of your legs. Maximum Stimulation is an electrical current, so the units are mA (milliamps).

I think you are getting mixed up with the Power that is reported by the RT 300. While riding the cycle, it measures the power that you are producing with your legs. It measures this as torque, which is a product of the force that you push with and the lever arm length (pedal radius). This is measured in W (Watts).

I am 12 years post injury and have been using the cycle for 10 years. My legs get good response from the electrodes. My settings and average session results from the last six months are as follows:
    Maximum Stimulation: 140 mA
    Pulse width: 300 ?s
    Frequency: 33.3 Hz
    Riding time: 63.5 minutes (2 minute warm-up, 60 minute therapy, 1.5 minute cooldown)
    Average power: 9.6 W

Several years ago I added more channels to stimulate the abdomen and back. I'm a quad, so extra stability in my core seemed like a great idea! I used the wireless boxes that snap onto electrodes, but they were awful. They were difficult to put on, and they always unsnapped while riding. If you can add more wired channels, I would recommend it.

So far I have always reordered by electrodes from the Restorative Therapies store website. If there are any other recommendations, it would be great to have a cheaper option!
    Last edited by EyesOfTexas; 08-09-2015 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Clarification

Do you recall what your average power was when you first started using the machine?

Wisdom King has the platinum electrodes, blue, foam, cloth. Not sure what the difference is, but they are quite a bit cheaper. Another website, Patterson medical also has the platinum electrodes for somewhat cheaper.

The ones I got from restorative therapies, I don't see white cloth or foam. They gave me a six-month supply for doing the training over Skype.
    Last edited by Fragile; 08-09-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Luckily RT keeps track of these things! Looking back at my initial sessions, my average power was around 4.5-5.0 W. Though, it looks like RT didn't start logging this data online until 1.5 years after I had started. So the power was surely less than that when I had initially started.

I'm not sure about the difference between platinum, blue, foam, and cloth electrodes. I really like the ones that I get from Restorative Therapies they are thin and bendable, so they conform really well. They also last way longer than some other electrodes that I've used. There were some that had a thick white foam backing, and not only did they not contoured to the body, they only lasted once before there was practically no stickiness left. I might try some from the Wisdom King website

Have you tried electrode gel or spray?

I have not. I lightly spray them with water to keep them in good shape.

I order from this company because it's cheaper, especially if you buy in bulk. These are the exact same electrodes that come with the RT300.

https://www.frenchcreekmedical.com/P...Code=AXE895340
    https://www.frenchcreekmedical.com/P...Code=AXE895240
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    I order from this company because it's cheaper, especially if you buy in bulk. These are the exact same electrodes that come with the RT300.

That is a better price. I think I'll order from them this next time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by november View Post

Thanks November for the tip. I just received my first order from these guys and I saved $30 over what it costs me at RTI!

hey November how are those legs?