Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What kind of water do you drink?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Why are you trying to make your urine alkaline? An acid urine is better for both prevention of UTIs and urinary stones, for the most part. Also, you are getting a LOT of sodium in that water...this is a risk factor in development of essential hypertension and cardiac disease long term (both of which are more common in those with SCI).

(KLD)
    Apologies if this is hijacking original post, but on topic of acidic urine: How best to achieve this? Vit C?

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCrip View Post
    Apologies if this is hijacking original post, but on topic of acidic urine: How best to achieve this? Vit C?
    There is a delicate balance between the levels of acid and alkaline in the human body so you need to be very careful as SCI-Nurse pointed out in her comment. To answer your question, you could add one of the following to your diet each day: drink 1.5 ounces of apple cider vinegar, cranberry capsules with vitamin C, drink cranberry juice or orange juice or take Vitamin C. Above all else, drink plenty of purified water.

Here is a good article about what happens when you have too much acid in your system:

http://www.processedfreeamerica.org/...-mccaffrey-cdc

Hello SCI-Nurse, thank you for the reply. I'm not attempting to make my urine alkaline. Also, I have to point out that the serving size of baking soda is 1/8 teaspoon, which accounts for just 6% of your daily sodium intake. Even a teaspoon is less than half of your daily intake, according to the nutrition facts on the back of the box. Being that I mostly prepare my own foods and stay away from canned stuff, lunch meats and other high sodium foods - I'm not concerned about overdosing on sodium. My intention is to take as a supplement. Dr. Otto Warberg was awarded the noble peace prize in 1929 for the discovery that cancer cannot live in the presence of oxygen. It is an anaerobic, acidic condition.

Many people have different thoughts and opinions about foods, but I do believe in supplementing my diet with alkaline salts in slight moderation to counteract the acid forming foods, meats and coffee that are part of the intake as well. More if a wellness preventions step than anything. Since I have been taking baking soda, I've noticed better bowel movements, less joint pain and more energy overall - after the first couple weeks.

I'm not a doctor, nor am I recommending this to others. But it helps me I feel. There is a lot of information on google about the topic.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Baking soda is part of my survival kit. I use it to brush my teeth, for gout attack, and as an antacid.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supp...n/drg-20065950
    "...Sodium bicarbonate , also known as baking soda, is used to relieve heartburn, sour stomach, or acid indigestion by neutralizing excess stomach acid. When used for this purpose, it is said to belong to the group of medicines called antacids. It may be used to treat the symptoms of stomach or duodenal ulcers. Sodium bicarbonate is also used to make the blood and urine more alkaline in certain conditions..."
    Female, T9 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    I have been drinking water for the past four years, before that I used to drink a lot of soda.
    Now I drink ice Mountain, in a sports bottle.
    I have done some research and bottled water (plastic) is not really good for you.
    Some waters are more acidic than others, what do you drink?

Look up Berkeley water purifiers, they are excellent and if you get the fluoride filter literally get rid of everything

James, thank you for the heads up about Berkeley purifiers. Currently, we use two separate filters to address fluoride too. Vintage, I'm glad I'm not the only one here who uses baking soda too!

Thanks, MobilityPaul. Me too! And to find both you and JamesMcM here, who know the horrors of flouride, is also gratifying.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Califanna View Post
    There is a delicate balance between the levels of acid and alkaline in the human body so you need to be very careful as SCI-Nurse pointed out in her comment. To answer your question, you could add one of the following to your diet each day: drink 1.5 ounces of apple cider vinegar, cranberry capsules with vitamin C, drink cranberry juice or orange juice or take Vitamin C. Above all else, drink plenty of purified water.

Here is a good article about what happens when you have too much acid in your system:

http://www.processedfreeamerica.org/...-mccaffrey-cdc
    Thanks Califanna.

I noticed something about water that I wonder if anyone else has noticed. Drinking too much RO water had adverse effects. My spasms increased and I was more susceptible to UTIs. Of course, you have to stay hydrated. But I found that more RO water isn't necessarily better. I had to find a balance. But I can drink as much Poland Springs water as I want. The more the better. My conclusion is that the difference may be attributed to minerals. Spring water has minerals whereas RO water is void of minerals. The theory is that RO water leaches the body of its minerals. I don't fully understand this but it's a plausible theory. The more I research the less answers I find and more questions I have. Anyway, it was worth a try to add minerals to my RO water. It's working well. Poland Springs is still better. But RO water + minerals is good enough.

We don't have Poland Springs water in grocery stores in Texas. Whenever possible, I buy Ozarka Spring Water. I can taste the difference when I get a municipal water, rather than spring water. There's a muddy taste from municipal water. Both Poland Springs and Ozarka Spring Water are owned by Nestle.

http://kfor.com/2014/11/21/two-kinds...a-a-water-war/

Nestle Waters North America owns the Ozarka trademark, and has provided Ozarka -brand spring water, sourced from natural springs in Texas, to retail customers in Oklahoma for more than 30 years.
    Female, T9 incomplete