Thread: Rear seat height for tall people w/ long arms...

Rear seat height for tall people w/ long arms...

I'm 6'-2", and have very long arms for my height. I have a ZRA with 24" wheels. I have the chair setup so that everything is how I like it, no problems really. This post is more out of curiosity. It seems that most people I see have the top of their laps below the top of their tires, and the bend in their elbows grabbing the hand rims is a smaller angle than mine. I know that wheel size has a little to do with it, but still. I'm not sure if I need to make any changes, and was hoping to get some feedback. Sorry the pics are so big : )

Here you can see my finger tips are well below my axle, but my tires are just above the top of my cushion:Name:  FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  294.9 KB

This is the angle of my elbow resting at the top of my handrims:
    Name:  FullSizeRender-4.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  298.2 KB

And this is my arm reaching back where I grab to push:
    Name:  FullSizeRender-3.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  299.8 KB

Although everything feels ok to me, it just doesn't look right, or at least not like most others I see in chairs. And I do feel a little like I'm sitting on top of my chair, not in it. But if I lower the rear seat height much more, I'll almost be able to touch the ground. So I'm not sure if the difference is in my height, my arm length, wheel size, etc...

Research reveals:
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Chasmengr, thanks again for your help. It looks like my elbow angle is around 90-100 degrees in the middle pic, so I guess I don't need to go any lower. Like I said in the post, I have the chair set up so that it feels good/right, but this just confirms that. So that's good to know. Thanks again.

You're most welcome
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Chasmengr, thanks again for your help. It looks like my elbow angle is around 90-100 degrees in the middle pic, so I guess I don't need to go any lower. Like I said in the post, I have the chair set up so that it feels good/right, but this just confirms that. So that's good to know. Thanks again.
    Also look at your body position and compare it with the one Chas posted. Looks pretty similar doesn't it? You are doing good.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Too low, will hurt your shoulder. Too high, will hurt your forearm.
    If you don't have any complain on your shoulder and forearm or wrist, and push with ease and fast, then stick to your RH.

So far, I discover holding the rim when pushing, will hold back a lot of momentum of the wheel. By rubbing the handrim an inch or two, is much efficient. (This does not apply to climbing up ramp)
    Last edited by sowseng; 08-08-2015 at 04:57 AM.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

im around 5' 10 and looking at your picture im very similar the top of my 24" wheel is inline with my hip but my thighs are above the top of the wheel by an inch or so, i would like to sit more in my chair but i would be lower for reaching things etc my finger tips are past the axle by an inch, pushing feels ok to me and im quiet happy picking things up off the floor, but i know what you mean.