Thread: Axle won't come out of wheels

Axle won't come out of wheels

I have Golz Twin-Star Exchange wheels on my Ti-Lite chair that are about 9 months old. One side is not locking into place. I called Ti-Lite and they said remove the axle from the wheel and there is an adjustment to make so the quick release bearings catch.

The issue is I cannot get the axle out of the wheel (either axle in either wheel). The axle spins freely but does not move at all so I can take it off. I wondered if it was rust from Chicago winter and sprayed it extensively with a lubricating/penetrating spray. After 24 hours is still does not move. To be clear when I say move the axle does not move back and forth inside the wheel. Not at all. Ti-Lite assured me it should.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steve

I finally got the axle out. I tapped it with a rubber hammer and one side came out. My guess is it was rust and the penetrating spray just needed some time and a few taps from the rubber hammer. Thanks, Steve

I like it when my axles get sticky in the wheel bearings-it make them easier to install.
    It's a combination of the grease on the axle inside the wheel bearings drying up and a little rust.
    With the wheel off the chair, it should only require one smart whack with a small hammer to get it moving again.
    To completely remove it from the wheel, you will have to fully depress the release button so the latching-ball on the inner end of the axle is free to move inward allowing the axle to go through the wheel bearings.

Great! I hit post, and there was your post.

I try to take my quick release wheels off once in a while and lubricate. Years ago had them totally stuck about 6 months after I switched from 2 door car to van with lift, when I no longer HAD to remove wheels from chair. That rubber mallet trick did the job.