Thread: BMW to build wheelchairs for 2016 U.S. Paralympics team

BMW to build wheelchairs for 2016 U.S. Paralympics team

BMW to build wheelchairs for 2016 U.S. Paralympics team

U.S. Paralympians will soon be racing in BMWs.
    BMW is scheduled to announce Wednesday that it is designing and developing a new wheelchair for U.S. athletes to use at next summer's Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. The wheelchair, which is in the design phase, will be made of carbon fiber, which is lighter than the aluminum used in most wheelchairs, said Trudy Hardy, the vice president of marketing for BMW North America.

(con't)

Cool, it will be neat to see a bunch of leased wheelchairs developing extensive electrical faults, and any mechanical breakdowns will be immediately blamed on the operator. But I'm sure the team will be feelin' special riding on them for sure Do they get a Flavor Flav styled BMW roundel to wear to the games too?

Andy, do I sense sarcasm?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Blog Entries
    Sweet, now maybe I can break my back again on another BMW!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Andy, do I sense sarcasm?
    Not at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Sweet, now maybe I can break my back again on another BMW!
    Thanks for reminding me I was an icky BMW owner also once (R1150R). And here I was feeling all righteous in my commentary of the brand...

I can't tell from the article if this is going to be an everyday chair or a racing chair. Wonder if it'll be like the skating suits: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...83010048360726

Answering my own question: they're racing chairs.

BMW Developing Racing Wheelchair For U.S. Paralympics Track And Field Athletes

As with the development of its previous technology projects for Team USA, BMW has enlisted world-class designers from Designworks, its global creative consultancy headquartered in California, to collaborate with the U.S. Paralympics Track and Field team in identifying and addressing the need for potential improvements in the team’s equipment – namely the racing wheelchair. Although still in its infancy, the wheelchair’s significant improvements will include a complete redesign of its chassis, application of BMW’s signature aerodynamic efficiencies, enhanced athlete restraint, carbon fiber durability, as well as steering and braking advancements.

Didn't BMW have some sort of involvement with Alex Zanardi and his racing equipment?