Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pflueger or Bison Automatic Fly Reel

Blog Entries
    Timaru,
    I'm with you on the fighting butt (I've used a PVC extension in a pinch). I'm having trouble visualizing your cast or how you trap and release the line. What length and weight rod and line are using? Any chance of a video?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
    Timaru,
    I'm with you on the fighting butt (I've used a PVC extension in a pinch). I'm having trouble visualizing your cast or how you trap and release the line. What length and weight rod and line are using? Any chance of a video?
    Thanks, Kevin
    While you are making that video show Kevin your reel. You can cast further than I ever could when I could standing.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

If it's windy I use a 9' rod with a wf 7 line but my go to kit is another 9 footer with a 5 weight shooting taper line.

All my reels now are Orvis Battenkill large arbors.

To cast imagine your hand positions as if Spey casting with a double handed salmon rod, the key is the bottom hand. Trap the line against the fighting butt on the back stroke and on the forward stroke rock the palm of your hand off the butt to let the line slide through as you start the next back stroke your hand will automatically close on the butt trapping the line again.

I'll try and post some pics.
    Last edited by Timaru; 08-07-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    While you are making that video show Kevin your reel. You can cast further than I ever could when I could standing.
    Re. the casting nonoise, most ABs can't cast to save their lives! They spend a fortune on a day's trout fishing and either can't cast far enough to reach the fish or lash the water in front of them into a foam scaring every fish for miles; but will they spend out on a few lessons? Will they bollocks!

Blog Entries
    Ah so! Spey... folks use those rods for steelhead and salmon here in the NW. Didn't some fella cast 74 yards with a spey rod. Are you casting side arm? Is the rod butt anchored on your hip and what action does it have? Are you bank, boat or dock fishing? Sorry for all the questions - I'm really interest in how people adapt sports gear to suit them.

Don't be soory to ask, in fact ask away!

I bank fish rivers and lakes with the odd boat trip on larger lakes.

I like a medium fast action rod, fishing with modern fast acctions is like trying to cast with a broom handle!

My go to cast is the over head, two false casts and shoot the running line. I also use a roll cast in tight spots.

As I've got older and my balance is going I have to tilt my chair back a little to stop toppleing forward.

Anyone ever use a Takara rod and techniques? I just bought mine, but have not been out on a stream with it yet.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Anyone ever use a Takara rod and techniques? I just bought mine, but have not been out on a stream with it yet.

(KLD)
    As a quad it took me a good two years to work out a way to fly cast with a rod, reel and line. If you have any sort of hand grip by using both hands this

http://www.tenkarausa.com/

looks a if you could be fly fishing in no time!

Thanks KLD.

Lots of Takara technique videos on YouTube too.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Lots of Takara technique videos on YouTube too.

(KLD)
    I'm hooked!