Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scissor locks

Scissor locks

Anyone have a pair they want to sell? I broke my right composite scissor lock on my tilite . Tia
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

I don't have pair to sell, but mine continuously break. They last somewhere 6-8 months. They are good, but the life of them is junk. On the one that is broke, how is the rivet? Is that fairly loose or still tight? If loose, they continue to loosen more and eventually the return spring will break.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    yeah they work great in the beginning... but their life expectancy is shocking.
    That spring is worthless.

The marvel scissor brakes were brilliant in comparison.

I have silver ones from a Quickie GP from the 80's (old basketball chair)! lol I can't access it right now or I'd post a photo. If they're any use, I'll send them.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I have silver ones from a Quickie GP from the 80's (old basketball chair)! lol I can't access it right now or I'd post a photo. If they're any use, I'll send them.
    Thank you Lynnifer for the offer, but I bought a new pair.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    I don't have pair to sell, but mine continuously break. They last somewhere 6-8 months. They are good, but the life of them is junk. On the one that is broke, how is the rivet? Is that fairly loose or still tight? If loose, they continue to loosen more and eventually the return spring will break.
    Mine lasted about 2 years - dang, I didn't know they are short-lived. Yeah, the spring went out, but when I tapped it to get it out of the way, the brake crumbled - kinda lame the quality of these brakes, but I do like them.

This may not be doable with scissor locks, I've never used nor seen a set of them. I just received my new set of composite push pull brakes. After reading the comments about the composite material and their poor durability, I started thinking that maybe using stainless would be an option. My old brakes were made mostly of aluminum. I know that there would be an increase in weight with stainless but the life of the brakes should extend past two years. I would think that they would surpass the life of aluminum made brakes. I wouldn't think that fabricating them would be very difficult either.

2 years life really amazing. As for composite, I think exactly what Brent is saying. Push/pull to lock, if composite same issue, but last a bit longer. I think a huge issue with composite, when brake is locked, the chair can still be flexed forward and backward slightly. This simply the design. That flexing is transferred all the way to the brake. The brake is the end of the energy. The energy is absorbed by both the brake itself and the rivet. Since the energy is absorbed there, those parts are wear extremely fast. I have had both push to lock and scissor, composite and aluminum. Not same material each design. I use scissor because I really like being able to use 360 degree of wheel on each push no matter where my hand starts. There is no smashing of fingers with scissor.

Brent I did just reply. You should try scissor. If you are capable of using entire 360 degrees of wheel on push, I think you will find an unbelievable difference if scissor locks are mounted. I could not believe the difference once I was able to use the entire 360 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent K View Post
    This may not be doable with scissor locks, I've never used nor seen a set of them. I just received my new set of composite push pull brakes. After reading the comments about the composite material and their poor durability, I started thinking that maybe using stainless would be an option. My old brakes were made mostly of aluminum. I know that there would be an increase in weight with stainless but the life of the brakes should extend past two years. I would think that they would surpass the life of aluminum made brakes. I wouldn't think that fabricating them would be very difficult either.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Brent I did just reply. You should try scissor. If you are capable of using entire 360 degrees of wheel on push, I think you will find an unbelievable difference if scissor locks are mounted. I could not believe the difference once I was able to use the entire 360 degrees.
    I might after the my new ones wear out and I can see the benefit of using scissor locks. After just paying $100.00 for something that may last for two years kind of caught me off guard. I appreciate your input, rlmtrhmiles.