Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What about virginia beach

What about virginia beach

any good hotel resort accessibility recommendations?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I live in Chesapeake (adjacent to VA beach) and I will say that most of the chains on the oceanfront will give you the same as any chain as far as accessibility. They do have beach wheelchairs available at the bike rental site on 17th street. This allows you to get into the surf as far as you are comfortable with. Watch out for sharks.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Just got back from a week there. Pretty easy but expect the standard beach access issues with the sand. Every beach from the boardwalk had a ramp but a long traverse to the water. I used a beach chair rental. Hotels were available with roll-in showers. Pretty cool scene on the boardwalk at night and a great time all in all. Be aware hotels are not cheap.
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

Blog Entries
    Born and raised in VB. Hotel accessibility isn't an issue. Beach access is easiest at 1st St. Beach is the narrowest there, and there is a park on the sand designed for chair access called Grommet Island. Any beach front hotel between 1st and 30th will be on the boardwalk. That provides very easy access to the entire "strip" along Atlantic, Ave. I recommend staying in a hotel on the boardwalk of possible. Adult nightlife scene is most active between 19th and 25th-ish. The north end rentals (above 70th St) are quiet places to be, for the more serene beach vacation, but access to water up there is brute force only (dunes and deep sand for days until you reach the water). Not much to do other than watch the waves, go out to eat. Maybe take in a museum or two. Colonial Williamsburg and the first permanent settlement (Jamestown) is only ~35-45min away, which I really enjoy rolling around. Regardless, if you do come here, you better let me know so we can meet up for some libation.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

absolutely Dale, will let you know dates. likely 3rd week in September. thinking 3 or 4 nights.
    we are looking at the
    http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/vir...HHF/index.html

any experience here? looks nice. we are just coming for r &r. drink, eat, sun repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Born and raised in VB. Hotel accessibility isn't an issue. Beach access is easiest at 1st St. Beach is the narrowest there, and there is a park on the sand designed for chair access called Grommet Island. Any beach front hotel between 1st and 30th will be on the boardwalk. That provides very easy access to the entire "strip" along Atlantic, Ave. I recommend staying in a hotel on the boardwalk of possible. Adult nightlife scene is most active between 19th and 25th-ish. The north end rentals (above 70th St) are quiet places to be, for the more serene beach vacation, but access to water up there is brute force only (dunes and deep sand for days until you reach the water). Not much to do other than watch the waves, go out to eat. Maybe take in a museum or two. Colonial Williamsburg and the first permanent settlement (Jamestown) is only ~35-45min away, which I really enjoy rolling around. Regardless, if you do come here, you better let me know so we can meet up for some libation.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

thx eak
    Quote Originally Posted by ekephart View Post
    I live in Chesapeake (adjacent to VA beach) and I will say that most of the chains on the oceanfront will give you the same as any chain as far as accessibility. They do have beach wheelchairs available at the bike rental site on 17th street. This allows you to get into the surf as far as you are comfortable with. Watch out for sharks.--eak

are the beach chairs the power beach chairs from pat the rat. I used one at coranodo island it was a blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9000ft View Post
    Just got back from a week there. Pretty easy but expect the standard beach access issues with the sand. Every beach from the boardwalk had a ramp but a long traverse to the water. I used a beach chair rental. Hotels were available with roll-in showers. Pretty cool scene on the boardwalk at night and a great time all in all. Be aware hotels are not cheap.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Can't answer beach chair question but excellent choice for hotel.

I was best man for a friend who is a fellow wheelie and we set them up at the Hilton for the honeymoon, they loved the access and atmosphere. Good choice of dates also, August can get too hot and humid , September starts to feel just a touch of autumn but still plenty warm in the daytime especially.

good to know. it had good reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    Can't answer beach chair question but excellent choice for hotel.

I was best man for a friend who is a fellow wheelie and we set them up at the Hilton for the honeymoon, they loved the access and atmosphere. Good choice of dates also, August can get too hot and humid , September starts to feel just a touch of autumn but still plenty warm in the daytime especially.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

just booked Hilton, not bad at all price wise.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    just booked Hilton, not bad at all price wise.
    Awesome. Great time of year, too. Both the weather and crowds cool off a bit by then.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments