Thread: Tramadol & Insomnia anyone?

Tramadol & Insomnia anyone?

I've had severe insomnia for as long as I can remember.. I started taking Ambien a few months ago & that has helped, but I'm still only getting about 4-5 hours of sleep at night. I also take Tramadol in the afternoon & at night for pain. Has anyone had issues with Tramadol/Ultram/Ultracet keeping them awake? In searching online I see it is a side-effect for some, but the percentage appears low.

If I didn't take it the pain/achiness I feel at night would surely keep me awake.

I have found 10mgs. of valium helps me sleep best though I know it's not a pain killer I guess the muscle relaxant properties are what is helping me the most. I have found when I take ( rarely) vicodin, or percocet it keeps me awake, kind of "jazzed up" maybe it's because it is relieving pain which is a constant. The side effects, constipation etc. keep me from taking them on anything near a regular basis. I have an Ultram RX but rarely take them because I don't feel I get much of any pain relief. Seems all these meds have trade offs and everyone has different reaction to them.

I didn't touch any kind of pain killer until after 30 years post SCI if i get old enough and pain is debilitating I will reevaluate usage.

Hope you can find a balance that works right for you.

I was using Amytriptylene 75mg before bed. Helps great. But I wanted to get off of prescription and try over the counter. I started using Advil PM and Nyquil sleep liquid. It has been working great. I have to say the amytrip is really cheap per script. The nyquil is a little more for a 3 pack. I buy them at sams club. Hope this helps.
    Have a great weekend.

Have you guys figured out the causes for having insomnia? Perhaps a small change on your daily habits can solve the problem. I know, I know. It is easier to treat the symptoms than cure the problem. At least, that's what the drugs companies want us to believe and many doctors as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYHAWK View Post
    Have you guys figured out the causes for having insomnia? Perhaps a small change on your daily habits can solve the problem. I know, I know. It is easier to treat the symptoms than cure the problem. At least, that's what the drugs companies want us to believe and many doctors as well.
    Not to hijack spaceboy's thread but usually for me the culprits for sleep problems are pain and spasticity. Thus the choice of 10 mg valium.

Tramadol doesn't cause insomnia for my Dad. In fact, he thinks it makes him more tired and he takes some right before bed. He sleeps well.... especially since starting to use CPAP for his sleep apnea.

Do you know what is keeping you up at night? Pain/spasticity? Or are you a thinker? Do you wake up and can't get back to sleep because your mind is racing? Or do you snore and wake up because you stop breathing?

Have you ever seen a sleep doctor? If this has been bothering you for years, maybe it is time..

I take 200 mg tramadol day, haven't noticed any sleep issues associated to using it