Thread: Possible to replace TiLite sling seat with one less deep?

Possible to replace TiLite sling seat with one less deep?

I have a TiLite Aero Z that is about a year old. I need to shorten the seat depth because the nylon rubs against the back of my calves causing problems if I am in the chair for very long.

I have the bolt-on adjustable sling type of seat. My seat is 20" wide by 19" deep.

I considered just cutting the material but I was worried it would frey over time.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to acquire a sling that is 1" shorter? Would the bolt holes still line up with the existing holds in my frame?

I doubt you can order a shorter off the shelf sling that will line up with your existing frame. But you could experiment by unhooking that last inch or so of fabric and letting it hang loose to see how it goes. Loosen up some end screws and take out the last inch of fabric and tighten everything back up. If all goes well you could find someone to properly hem it for you. It would take tent and awning type place or maybe an auto or furniture upholstery shop. That would be my plan.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Here's a thread on that topic from a few years ago :
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ten+upholstery

The way the holes are cut into the fabric for the bolt positions, I dont think I can just slide the fabric back like that other topic suggests.

and the fabric wraps around the rail and underneath.. and on one side its sewn underneath and on the other it velcros. So because of the sewn side there doesnt seem to be an option to just "take out" or "fold back" the last inch.

Any other ideas?

anyone have a 20" X 18" that they could measure the bolt hole locations to see if it would fit?

Here you can see the top with the bolt hole locations:
    Name:  2015-07-31 08.09.54 - Copy.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  173.0 KB

And here you can see from underneath.. the left of this shot shows the velcro and the right shows its sewn as a pouch the whole length.
    Name:  2015-07-31 08.20.51 - Copy.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  137.2 KB
    --------------------------------
    TiLite Aero Z since 10/2014
    I have Dysautonomia which results in the inability to stand or walk for more than a couple of minutes.

k4olin,
    Regarding "... TiLite Aero Z ... I need to shorten the seat depth ..."
    Your situation is not unusual. TiLite's strap-adjustable sling is made for just such situations (and for all of TiLite's tapered seats). The existing rails are removed and the straps are secured around the seat frame with buckles. The system works a bit like a tension-adjustable back. TiLite's strap-adjustable sling retail price is $195, but it is substantially less expensive here.

I'd take the seat off. Cut a couple slits in the top fabric so the bars could fit through. Fold the fabric under and put it back on. If you like it take it to be sew. If not you can still put it back.

BFD has a great answer. Here is something I did where the newly ordered fabric did not line up with the holes.
    Name:  A4seat.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  55.0 KB

Sorry it is blurry, but the original photo at 1.35MB did not post. This one is 55 KB.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

BFD thanks for the idea!
    I was able to take it off put in cuts at one inch, fold back and reattach. I'll do that for a bit and see if the 1" is enough or if that rougher fabric needs to be even further back.

Once i I know for sure I'll probably order the adjustable by strap in the new size because with the fold under its bending the rails some so I'm not sure that will be great long term.

I'll keep you posted on how it works out!
    --------------------------------
    TiLite Aero Z since 10/2014
    I have Dysautonomia which results in the inability to stand or walk for more than a couple of minutes.

When you get it the right length you can just have some one put a 1/2 inch hem on it or just cut it off and sear the end. A soldering iron or a candle will do. If by rough fabric you mean the velcro, just stick a piece of loop/pile velcro to it. The front edge of my seat is all burned from welding. It doesn't hurt a thing.