Thread: Hand Pain

Smile Hand Pain

Ok this is my first post I am 6 months into my injury, I am c6 c7 incomplete, I see no one discussing hand pain. I know I'm not alone here With the pain. But I guess my biggest question is does anyone use aggressive hand stretching like I do. It seems to be the only thing to "CALM" my hands. I take 400 milligrams of lyrica a day, I'm really not sure how much it helps. I'm sure I have many more questions but I will start here.

I'm c6/c7 . When I was at the hospital right after my accident my whole body hurt. They even have a special pain unit to treat us. I went there and asked them what was the solution to my pain, and they said that the pain on my body could be relieved, not cure, with meds, but I had to deal with the side effects. I chose to live with the pain and be more alive and less zombi. So far, I'm ok living with my new fried I just got used to it.

I am also C6/C7. When I was at Shepherd I would sleep on my hands at night to try and flatten them out. After 8 years post and lots of work, my hands are 80% normal compared to pre-injury. I've had hand pain since being at Shepherd. It's mostly achy, tightness, fatigue type of pain. Moderate stretching but mostly running my hands under cold water for a minute or two seems to give temporary relief.

This is one complaint I do not her too often. Can you describe the pain you are having, what aggrevates it, helps it and if there are any specific times of the day it occurs. That would be very helpful in trying to give you some suggestions as to how to relieve it.
    ckf

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    This is one complaint I do not her too often. Can you describe the pain you are having, what aggrevates it, helps it and if there are any specific times of the day it occurs. That would be very helpful in trying to give you some suggestions as to how to relieve it.
    ckf
    Ok I am going to try and describe My pain it's kind of indescribable, sometimes it goes numb, sometimes it hurts in the back of my hand when I bend my wrist. My hands often feel like they've been in a bucket of ice water and are freezing, but they are warm to the touch, I also have the nerve pain that shoots i pinky and ring finger, and this someone Bend's my wrist down to where it looks very uncomfortable, it seems to calm my hands. At night I wear A molded hand brace that was made for me to sleep in and that also seems to calm my hands. I have been wearing hand braces for most of the time, the kind of brace that immobilizes your wrist, I am trying to wean myself off of them, my occupational therapist suggested I stop wearing them, they just offer so much support but are probably weakening my wrist.

It sounds like a neurological pain from your description. There are medications that can help with that, however they are not without their side effects. If the braces help, I would continue to use them, at least at night. If there are certain positions that help, that may also be useful. Ckf