Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows 10

windows 10

i have windows 7 and theres a free upgrade to windows 10n im no big computer wiz is the win 10 worth it if i just surf web some and ebay and stuff like that
    is it permanently on the comp for free
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Windows 10 is a great upgrade. Of course it's not really necessary if surfing the web is all you need, but what do you have to lose? Yesterday I upgraded my 3 PCs, a Surface Pro 3, a Surface 3, and a Dell Venue Pro 8 and they all upgraded with no problems.

I agree. I upgraded my Win 8.1 laptop. Took about an hour or so. So far, I'm delighted.

cool im a little skeptical but i may try it im assuming its on there for good once i do it
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

As I have said on another thread, I upgraded to Win 10 on my wife's Win 8.1 laptop. Win 10 seems much better but be aware of some things. This version of Windows forces you to receive updates. There is no legitimate, easy way to stop them. I'm sure many will want these updates, but they may use bandwidth while downloading these update files in the background and the installation could disrupt and slow your computer at any time. Win 10 also can schedule restart times for these installations on its own.

Please do yourself a favor and watch what your agreeing to during this free upgrade. Select custom configuration whenever screens show and choose wisely. Don't just go with Microsoft's default selection. They will ask about sharing data, tracking you and your location, and even downloading "parts" of your future updates from "other" sources. This means they can use a form of peer-to-peer way of uploading parts of your updates from (hopefully) trusted computer sources (other people's computers). They will probably use this especially during peak update periods, when new large updates are released. You can turn this feature off. I did.

And then there is this to think about...

http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10...ow-to-opt-out/
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    cool im a little skeptical but i may try it im assuming its on there for good once i do it
    hell no, i'd never upgrade from win 7 to win 8 or 10
    too many glitches
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Can anyone tell me if it has an on-screen keyboard and if TightVNC works well it. (those are two musts)
    I wanna try it out my laptop and see if I like it. Also, does it use more system resources than 7?

Backup before you upgrade. I'm trying to get Windows to back up my entire C: drive, but I'm not sure it's getting everything. I just downloaded Seagate disk Wizard see if I can make an image of the disk.

I've read that the upgrade is working for everyone. Some people have to download Windows 10 from Microsoft, write the file to DVD, and upgrade or do fresh install that way. I don't have the link for that, but I guess I'll be able to find it if I need it. Search engines are our friend.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I backup with a disk image to an identical hard drive as my boot drive about once a month with this program.

http://www.xxclone.com/

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Backup before you upgrade. I'm trying to get Windows to back up my entire C: drive, but I'm not sure it's getting everything. I just downloaded Seagate disk Wizard see if I can make an image of the disk.

I've read that the upgrade is working for everyone. Some people have to download Windows 10 from Microsoft, write the file to DVD, and upgrade or do fresh install that way. I don't have the link for that, but I guess I'll be able to find it if I need it. Search engines are our friend.
    ^^(A)^^