Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: issues with Smart Drive

Am I able to contact Max Mobility myself? I can't get my wheelchair vendor to even consider that it's the mount. Every time they just send the whole SmartDrive back.

I I agree the wheel itself is strong. Mine now is popping off when I'm rolling at a decent pace so it takes a bit to stop, all the while the wheel getting dragged on its side behind me! How I know my issue is the mount; is the issues didn't start until right after my camber tube was replaced (after I rusted my snow tires to to camber tube and E-Motion mounting brackets on the camber tube.

Quote Originally Posted by sledgrl View Post
    Am I able to contact Max Mobility myself?...clip...
    Their phone number is in your user manual. Just have your serial number ready, they are great company. It should not be coming off. I suspect your bracket is upside down, too low, too high, wrong angle or a combination of these.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by sledgrl View Post

I I agree the wheel itself is strong. Mine now is popping off when I'm rolling at a decent pace so it takes a bit to stop, all the while the wheel getting dragged on its side behind me! How I know my issue is the mount; is the issues didn't start until right after my camber tube was replaced (after I rusted my snow tires to to camber tube and E-Motion mounting brackets on the camber tube.
    In my experience you problem is caused simply by the angle of the camber tube mount.

Loosen it, rotate it 'up' and re-tighten it.

I have also found that the bolts in the mount will loosen pretty quickly on their own due to vibration and allow the mount to rotate.
    I've learned to use a flexible adhesive like silicone sealant or shoe goo between the mount and camber tube as well as loctite on the threads of the screws.
    Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Did your concerns start with the switchover to the ICON setup? If so get your other chair out and try to compare what the difference would be.
    Good point. I don't remember though if I had the same problems with my Tilte TR. I went through a number of clamps as they would start out play-free and develop side-to-side play. It seemed when I would put on a new clamp the problem would go away. I really do want to try the last clamp Alex sent me. As I mentioned, I had been given the proper clamp for a25" wheels (which I have) but now he sent one for 24" wheels. I think he wants me to try a different angle. I've just been beat up lately trying to get daily things done and haven't been able yet to put that new clamp on. When I do I will report in. Thanks for the idea of switching back and forth to check the performance. I'd like to do that too. I put my TR in storage and would need my GF to help me get it out. It's such a good idea though that I hope I am able to give it a try. Would be a great clue if things went well with the old config. Would tell me right away the SD drive is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    In my experience you problem is caused simply by the angle of the camber tube mount.

Loosen it, rotate it 'up' and re-tighten it.

I have also found that the bolts in the mount will loosen pretty quickly on their own due to vibration and allow the mount to rotate.
    I've learned to use a flexible adhesive like silicone sealant or shoe goo between the mount and camber tube as well as loctite on the threads of the screws.
    I am also thinking it's the mount angle. Interesting idea using a flexible adhesive. Now that I am mounting my drive to an Icon (see earlier post photo) there isn't a chance to the mount to rotate but the height/angle can still be an issue. That is what Alex Woolard at MM is helping me to figure out. I hope I get it worked out. I also wish I had a wheelchair butler to make all the adjustments and do the testing for me ;-) Most days I'm worn out just from doing all the necessaries of daily life. I remember having some tool sit on a counter for months because I just wasn't finding the extra bit to put them away.

By the way, I know this is off-topic but I received a package on Friday and the shipping service included the fellow bringing the 144lb package in, un-boxing it and taking away all the packing. Wow was that worth it! Saved me days of doing it myself. I'm going for that option any time I can. It was shipping done through Home Depot and some service they use.