Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 to 64 bit computer issues

32 to 64 bit computer issues

I know related threads have been created about upgrading to a 64 bit computer But I want to be sure I get up to date and experience based info. My 8 year old 32 bit, Windows 7 running computer needs to be replaced. I am looking at a couple of 64 bit computers with Windows 10. What are the ramifications for my 32 bit software and document and other files created on the old computer?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

The files will be just fine and most of your software should also work as needed. My son's fiancee just did the same thing your're doing and all is well thus far.
    C5-6 - 22 years

oh no windows 10.... gaaarbage
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Windows 10 is a great upgrade, and it's free. Like quartermile said, you'll be just fine. I've been running 64bit for years and everything works just fine.

Upgrading to Win 10 on an existing machine worked just fine for me, and I'm delighted with it so far.

However, I have NO experience transferring apps from a 32bit Win 7 machine to a 64bit Win 10. I really don't know if Microsoft has figured out the machine to machine process yet. Going from a Win XP machine to a Win 7 machine was painful.

Microsoft gives you up to one year to download Windows 10 for free. I have no plans on being an early adopter. I do not know if it is compatible with Dragon NaturallySpeaking at this time.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

From my experience (and Microsoft's own recommendations), most 32 bit software will run just fine on a 64 bit computer. This has always been the case with older versions of Windows too, like Win7. You'll see two directories--"Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)." Windows knows where best to install your older applications. There are exceptions however. You may find some 32 bit applications, like virus programs, won't run in a 64 bit environment. No problem, just about every major application has a 64 bit version now. I still use some programs I acquired back when I was running XP.

I just installed a Windows 10 update on my wife's Win 8.1 laptop. She hates Win 8, so do I. So far, it seems much better and more familiar than that Windows 8 crap. There are several ways to get 10. And it can be installed on Win 7 computers (legal versions with few exceptions). I downloaded the version that produces an image (ISO) file and burned it to a DVD, so I can install on multiple computers. You can even install from a USB device. You also have the option of booting to the installation disc or device and doing a clean install.

The one thing you should know about Windows 10 is that Microsoft made it to accept Windows Updates without exception. You're not supposed to disable Updates like in previous versions. Of course, people are already coming up with ways to do this. Some are complicated. Some just let you select only the updated you want. But the user agreement does state that updates are to be always "on."

I won't upgrade to a new operating system until it's been out for at least 6 months to work out all the problems that pop up right away. And there's always a service pack that comes out.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I won't upgrade to a new operating system until it's been out for at least 6 months to work out all the problems that pop up right away. And there's always a service pack that comes out.
    smart dude, you know your stuff unlike some other people that rush to upgrade. not trying to offend anyone
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

I would prefer to wait but my 8 year old computer is close to dying, and I would like to have my new one up and running before the hard drive spins it's last spin. I can get a new one with Windows 8.1 or 10. There seems to be widespread agreement that 8.1 is not the way to go.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/