Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 32 to 64 bit computer issues

You should be continually having an icon created on your desktop regarding the upgrade. If click on it, it should be taking you to Windows site telling you about the upgrade. The upgrade, IS machine specific. I do not know the details of the machine specific. HOWEVER, I do know exactly what I just typed. My machine, which is an older HP, the software is NOT ready for my machine. I have tried this multiple times. Most of my equipment is probably 5+ years old except printer.

Blog Entries
    get a new harddrive. If you want to stick with 7 it will take you a while to reinstall and download the updates...get a tent and sleeping bag lol...Stay away from windows 10 if you value privacy. Stay away from windows ANYTHING if you like stuff to WORK. Is your processeor 64 or 32 bit? One thing more, Linux is ALSO free, huge number of distros out there, software for EVERYTHING free and it works. I use various distros but am recommending Linux Mint for those new to windows, it's easy to understand. Operating systems are made for phones nowadays(generally speaking) and aren't the 'desktop computer' friendly things they once were. I refuse to put my telephone on the web, use an old one anyway. Don't want to make a political thing out of it but I value my privacy, don't agree with your government overreach and try to make it hard on them lol. this will tell you a little http://www.rt.com/usa/311383-windows-opt-out-privacy/
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 08-02-2015 at 03:38 PM. Reason: fork with nsa n the rest of the brownshirts...

Blog Entries
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint
    I use LMDE Cinnamon. You can put Mint or any linux distro for that matter on a usb set your computer to boot from usb first and run it live without installing it. I carry laptop harddrive with different distros on it, plug into a computer and use it without fear of malware/virii whenever I'm out n about. Download linux for free as it always has been. Fork billy gates...

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I would prefer to wait but my 8 year old computer is close to dying, and I would like to have my new one up and running before the hard drive spins it's last spin. I can get a new one with Windows 8.1 or 10. There seems to be widespread agreement that 8.1 is not the way to go.
    Can you just get a new motherboard, and perhaps faster memory to go with it, instead of replacing the whole computer?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

With windows 8.1 the difference between those who like it and those who hate it is whether or not the person likes to tinker with their computer in terms of setting things up and getting it just right for them. Some are so used to the old homescreen they automatically hated the tile screen that is familiar to tablet users. There is a way to have a big tile with your home screen on it so you can easily go to your homescreen and see the familiar screen you are used to looking at. I flip back and forth because there are tiles on the windows 8 screen i use but not on a daily basis that I do not want to clutter my traditional start screen up with. If you are used to a tablet type screen windows 8 should be no problem. I have my program tiles group with the ones relating to each other together - office tiles with cloud tiles together, gaming and gaming mouse tiles together, reading apps with libraries together, you get the idea. I went to Windows 8 from a mac so new it would be an adjustment going in regardless. And I actually enjoyed setting it up and getting it just the way I wanted it. I am planning on waiting to do the windows 10 upgrade. The big concern with upgrading is your peripherals like the printer, not all have drivers that will update for use past windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    With windows 8.1 the difference between those who like it and those who hate it is whether or not the person likes to tinker with their computer in terms of setting things up and getting it just right for them. Some are so used to the old homescreen they automatically hated the tile screen that is familiar to tablet users. There is a way to have a big tile with your home screen on it so you can easily go to your homescreen and see the familiar screen you are used to looking at.
    I got a new laptop and immediately hated the iphone type interface. I've never owned an iphone put I'm sure that's how they operate. It only took 2 steps to get it back to operate like Windows 7. I don't want those stupid tiles anywhere.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

Well, I got a new Dell small desktop up and running. As soon as I get the files transferred from my laptop I will start working on it and have it as a backup. So far I haye Thunderbird and Firefox up and running without any problems. I am somewhat familiar with the Win 10 interface because I have a cell phone running under Win 8.1. I will keep you posted.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/