Thread: Power or Electric Wheelchair Recommendations

Power or Electric Wheelchair Recommendations

Hi All,
    My shoulder problems are not getting any better so I am finally taking the plunge towards a easier way of propulsion. I am looking for recommendations for a power or electric wheelchair. I live in the north country meaning it gets cold up here. I live on a farm so I am outside a lot where there isn't always a nice smooth sidewalk to roll on. I am in need of a chair that is at home in both indoor and outdoor environments. I am looking for something that is rugged, reliable, maneuverable, easy to maintain that isn't the size of an SUV. I would like to hear from you the users and what your experiences, good, bad or otherwise have been. Pictures or website links would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!!

Quickie rear wheel drive chairs have served me well over the years. I started out with a 626 that lasted me for 14 years and now I have a 646, which is basically the same chair. They are very easy to repair and get used parts for, in the rare event that they should breakdown.

I'll be getting a Quantum Rival in just a few months, hopefully.

I have been using my IGlide power assist chair since 2004 and love it. The chair is now called a Tailwind and almost identical to the IGlide. I had shoulder problems that stemmed from my accident in 2003 which is what put me in this chair originally. I can't say enough about this chair and if and when my IGlide decides to give out I will be replacing it with the Tailwind from Clinton River Medical. Please PM me if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by yojama95 View Post
    I have been using my IGlide power assist chair since 2004 and love it. The chair is now called a Tailwind and almost identical to the IGlide. I had shoulder problems that stemmed from my accident in 2003 which is what put me in this chair originally. I can't say enough about this chair and if and when my IGlide decides to give out I will be replacing it with the Tailwind from Clinton River Medical. Please PM me if you have any questions.
    I thought there was an Iglide near me. It's a winner, keep it going. I've tried the Tailwind and talked to the folks who sell it at Clinton. They said indicated wanted to support the Iglide owners so you will be able to keep it up. The mistake they are making now is that their new chair has too many adjustment compromises and will not customize to most of us.
    otoh, if you opt to replace yours write me. I love projects.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I just asked my vendor....which is a real good friend and he said right now....as of the last 3 months he said they all pretty much junk and didn't know what is the best anymore. He has been selling power chairs and manual for over 25 years and said he can't keep anybody happy no more. He said with the new medicare rules its a total mess. Sad.
    Permobil is buying everybody up and there goes the competition with it.
    Art

BTW He saw that I had 3 of the old E and J chairs. They like 20 or 30 years old and told me he could sell each one of those to people he knows for a easy 2,000 dollars a chair since they look like new and last forever. I have to agree....I got a new manual Tilite aero x chair as a backup to my electric. I agree they are junk compared to the old E and J. All E and J had to do was make some light weight chairs and they would have one hell of a business today. My legs like to spread apart as I sit like a lot of people do. E and J had it right with the lower leg rest rigging so it would not rub against just below your knee. With the Tilite chair I have to use a leg strap to keep my legs together plus put water pipe insulation and wear a arm pad on my outside of my legs just below my knees to be on the safe side. I hate the leg strap as it looks silly and people stare at it. Why I use the arm pad on my legs so nobody knows its there. Tilite really needs to do some home work here. All that crap get old. The old E and J I just sat in it and went. Could bend over and never have to worry about the strain it put my legs on as there was not any. Bend over on the tilite and there is a lot of pressure just below the knee on the outside of my legs. I'll never get rid of those old E and J chairs as long as am alive. You can still by parts for them dirt cheap also. That's just me tho.
    Art

Love the Permobile C300 I have. It has been much more reliable than the Pride Quantum & Blast models I had. Pride has Mark Smith who provides great service, but I would have preferred a chair that I didn't have to have repaired every couple months. Only complaint about Permobile is that awful R-Net joystick. They plastic around the display cracks very easily. Poor design by P&G. By the way, I understand Permobile provides good service also, just haven't needed it

Medicare/caid paying for Permobil? I have no clue. I haven't been interested in power chairs in years. I don't want them to stick me in some P.O.S. hahaha.

I do believe Medicare/Caid will pay for a Permobile.