Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Number Beds, revisited. (she hides behind a tree for beating a dead horse)

Had mine about a year.. And love it!

We have had ours since 2008 and we love it! Both my husband and I are in chairs, and it works out awesome that he can make it as soft as he wants and I can make it more firm and we can both sleep in the same bed together! Will never sleep on anything different. Worth the money in my opinion.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    I guess I'll put up an opposing view. I've had one for about 15 years. They are really really comfortable, but I believe that a lot of the back issues I'm experiencing today is a result of the sleep number bed. When laying on my side and deflating the the air to my "sleep number" of 55, the middle of the bed (where the heaviest part of you is) turns into a little crater so you're kind of laying in a curve (head and feet are higher than your abdomen). It doesn't work like the TV ads would make you think - that the bed comes up and fills in all your curves. It's actally the exact opposite. Over the years I've developed a curvature in my spine and a lot of back pain. I know many here recommend them, but I would have too after only a few years. I even liked them so much I bought one for my son when he was little and another when he grew up. I would not do it again and I'm actively looking at replacing it with a regular model (possibly a Serta iSeries) and an adjustable base. I'm getting my son to upgrade too.
    When we bought our sleep number beds, the store had a pressure map to help select the best sleep number for each of us.

Perhaps your sleep number wasn't the right one for you.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    When we bought our sleep number beds, the store had a pressure map to help select the best sleep number for each of us.

Perhaps your sleep number wasn't the right one for you.

All the best,
    GJ
    Thanks GJ. I really have tried them all. If you think about what you're lying on, it's just a rubber bladder, like a balloon, without any restricted chambers. When you lay on it, the heaviest part of you will sink into the bladder more. Think of a ROHO without the quadrants locked. You push on the center and the air goes to the sides. You push on the sides the air moves to the center. The same thing happens with the Sleep Number bladder. Anyone that has a Sleep Number bed can see what I'm talking about by pumping up the bed to 100. Lay down on your back. Set the sleep number to maybe 50-60. After it completes, you should notice that your butt is lower than your head and feet since the heaviest part of you sunk into the bladder more than the lighter parts. So you're now laying in a small crater. If you turn to your side the crater will still exist so now your back is in this curved state. Have a buddy look at your spine after you've turned. It will probably be curved to match the bed. I almost always lay on my left side to sleep after laying on my back for about an hour or so. After a few years that curve catches up with you. My wife is also experiencing some hip pain when she wakes up. Of course she doesn't have the same issues I have since she can move around while she sleeps, but with those of us that sleep in a single position all night might experience the same thing I've have.

Hey, I know I'm not convincing anyone hear and there's no way to prove something like this for a "lawsuit" as Mac85 suggests, but that's been my experience with a Sleep Number bed and I thought I should share. If the bed works for everyone else great, but I haven't had that kind of luck. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Thanks GJ. I really have tried them all. If you think about what you're lying on, it's just a rubber bladder, like a balloon, without any restricted chambers. When you lay on it, the heaviest part of you will sink into the bladder more. Think of a ROHO without the quadrants locked. You push on the center and the air goes to the sides. You push on the sides the air moves to the center. The same thing happens with the Sleep Number bladder. Anyone that has a Sleep Number bed can see what I'm talking about by pumping up the bed to 100. Lay down on your back. Set the sleep number to maybe 50-60. After it completes, you should notice that your butt is lower than your head and feet since the heaviest part of you sunk into the bladder more than the lighter parts. So you're now laying in a small crater. If you turn to your side the crater will still exist so now your back is in this curved state. Have a buddy look at your spine after you've turned. It will probably be curved to match the bed. I almost always lay on my left side to sleep after laying on my back for about an hour or so. After a few years that curve catches up with you. My wife is also experiencing some hip pain when she wakes up. Of course she doesn't have the same issues I have since she can move around while she sleeps, but with those of us that sleep in a single position all night might experience the same thing I've have.

Hey, I know I'm not convincing anyone hear and there's no way to prove something like this for a "lawsuit" as Mac85 suggests, but that's been my experience with a Sleep Number bed and I thought I should share. If the bed works for everyone else great, but I haven't had that kind of luck. YMMV.
    The only reason I commented was because my wife (NL) and I were talking about the support of our sleep number beds with regard to your question. NL is an AB and has total sense. She says when she adjusts the sleep number, she can feel the bed contouring to the natural curve in her back. Whether that is real or just sensation...

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    We really like ours. 2 chamber style. Davey's right, though. Side sleeping on your supine sleep number is not good. However, when on my back I use 35 and on my side I use 65. Both set at the store using their mapping bed. After ten years the border frame (mostly foam) is breaking down. Sucks because they don't sell it separate for my model.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I bought the I8, about 4k, and an after market base, saved me about 1200
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    I bought the I8, about 4k, and an after market base, saved me about 1200
    congrats, let us know how you like it
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Has anyone found a good base to use with a Sleep Number mattress that not only allows raising/lowering the head and foot, but also raising/lowering the whole mattress? I think this is usually called a hi-lo feature. I've been in the market for a new frame/base and mattress for a number of years now, and I haven't found one that can settle on. I really like Sleep Number mattresses, but I want to find a solid base to combine it with since the Sleep Number options do not include hi-lo adjustability.

I went to matthews mattress. They're all over California... not sure about other states. It's base raises and lowers head and feet, and the legs have 3 different height adjustments so you can make it CHAIR level. It was on sale for a little under $700
    An administrator made me remove my signature.