Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Number Beds, revisited. (she hides behind a tree for beating a dead horse)

Sleep Number Beds, revisited. (she hides behind a tree for beating a dead horse)

I've searched and read older threads, but most are from days when they were way less expensive. Anyone buy one now that they are a gazillion dollars? Do the prescription tricks still work... are they really worth it at the price-also... how has yours held up over time??
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

I have used a Sleep Number Bed for about 9 years now . Very durable , only problems with the hand controller , needs programed once in a while . Bed is Great . Make it hard to transfer , soften it up to sleep on . Do not need to be turned at all . I recommend it highly . Did not use Insurance to pay for any of it though . Best of luck !

Had mine for 4 years, holds up goo
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

2 years will never sleep on anything else. I highly recommend to everyone especially gimps. get adj base too. got rx and wrote off on taxes
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Mine is approx. 1 yr. old... like John says...they are great. I really do sleep so much better, (and no I don't work for Sleep#). Make sure you try all the different models; there was a big difference between them for me considering I 'get dressed' in bed. In fact the least expensive model worked the best for me (still $$$, though).

I highly recommend them. The only negative comment was that the salesperson was pretty useless. I thought the feature to raise my feet would be a 'nice-to-have', but so far I use it almost every night. One piece of advice - if the bed is just a bit high for transferring, request the legs that accommodate caster wheels (but don't order the wheels). That will knock about 2 inches off the height of the bed. They were 'kind enough' not to charge me for this option, although it did take a few phone calls for them to see the light. Good luck!

Lots of good information, thanks so much everyone!
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

I guess I'll put up an opposing view. I've had one for about 15 years. They are really really comfortable, but I believe that a lot of the back issues I'm experiencing today is a result of the sleep number bed. When laying on my side and deflating the the air to my "sleep number" of 55, the middle of the bed (where the heaviest part of you is) turns into a little crater so you're kind of laying in a curve (head and feet are higher than your abdomen). It doesn't work like the TV ads would make you think - that the bed comes up and fills in all your curves. It's actally the exact opposite. Over the years I've developed a curvature in my spine and a lot of back pain. I know many here recommend them, but I would have too after only a few years. I even liked them so much I bought one for my son when he was little and another when he grew up. I would not do it again and I'm actively looking at replacing it with a regular model (possibly a Serta iSeries) and an adjustable base. I'm getting my son to upgrade too.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    I guess I'll put up an opposing view. I've had one for about 15 years. They are really really comfortable, but I believe that a lot of the back issues I'm experiencing today is a result of the sleep number bed. When laying on my side and deflating the the air to my "sleep number" of 55, the middle of the bed (where the heaviest part of you is) turns into a little crater so you're kind of laying in a curve (head and feet are higher than your abdomen). It doesn't work like the TV ads would make you think - that the bed comes up and fills in all your curves. It's actally the exact opposite. Over the years I've developed a curvature in my spine and a lot of back pain. I know many here recommend them, but I would have too after only a few years. I even liked them so much I bought one for my son when he was little and another when he grew up. I would not do it again and I'm actively looking at replacing it with a regular model (possibly a Serta iSeries) and an adjustable base. I'm getting my son to upgrade too.
    heh if this was true there would be lawsuits already
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    heh if this was true there would be lawsuits already
    Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just going on what my doctors and physical therapists have said. And I *am* missing the fact that nothing is true unless there are associated lawsuits.