Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am a Medical Device Designer and I need your expertise!

Hmm--the devices KDL posted have some functional similarity, but are not alike in design, not so maneuverable
    as the circular frame on casters. My dream design would have a flexible round frame, be stable and un-tippable on a smooth flat surface,
    be collapsible, lightweight and useable for 'walking' exercise in large indoor spaces like a gym or mall.

Hi Matt.

First, thank you for your interest in this field!

I use a Tailwind power assist wheelchair. It is an awesome chair, but would love it if someone could figure out how to get the batteries to recharge while out and about either using solar or by the energy created while propelling the chair. Maybe creating a small light weight alternator could do the trick.

Also, making travel outside the United States much more accessible. I made 2 trips to the UK on business prior to my accident and remember how small my hotel rooms and taxis were. My husband and I travel a lot through out the U.S. and have found that each trip requires so much more work than an abled bodied individual requires. Even the hotel chains aren't consistent. We would really like it to be easier and more consistent for those in wheelchairs to travel in and outside the U.S..

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks again for the interest in this field.

How about a lightweight shopping cart so I can get more than one bag of groceries per trip. A trailer, metal frame, hanging canvas bags, could be towed or pushed by a chair? Won't help everyone, would require power chair or good upper body mobility & strength. They're at walmart in a bicycle version but too heavy, wrong wheel config.
    Twizzle, Twazzle, Twozzle, Twome; time for this one to come home.

Be what you is, not what you is not. Folks what they is, is the happiest lot.

How about a wheelchair design without using front casters . . . something similar to a Dyson Vacuum cleaner:

Quote Originally Posted by hugheswf View Post
    How about a wheelchair design without using front casters . . . something similar to a Dyson Vacuum cleaner:
    Does it suck up groceries so I won't need my shopping cart trailer?

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback,
    Its amazing to see that the work we've been doing over the past few months is actually on the right track and in some cases exactly on point!
    sadly i cant show you the device until its a little more developed!
    But if you have any more insights about mobility and products that need developing i am all ears,
    Also other problem areas and gripes are always welcome ! the more information I have the better !
    Thanks Matt

I know you mean the whole wheelchair not having casters, kind of like the Genny (http://www.gennymobility.com), but I've often wondered why not have ball casters that don't get stuck. I came across this patent that maybe they will do something with https://www.google.com/patents/US20150113765

Quote Originally Posted by hugheswf View Post
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Not something that necessarily needs to be DESIGNED, but would be nice to be utilized. When pulling open a door into a place (business, office, handicapped bathroom stall) one has to turn around and come back out (sometimes over a rough or high threshold) in order to access the knob to pull it closed, backing up as you do so. A hook or small handle can be attached on the door about 2/3rds of the way to the knob which can be easily reached by the person without turning all the way around and going partly out in order to reach the knob. I've done this at home and it's very irritating to not have this convenience in other places when it would require little expense/effort. Perhaps if a hook/handle were devised which would be part of the equipment required as an ADA, particularly in baths and Dr. offices it could happen! Is this clear as mud? It's hard to describe.

Thanks for your work in this area!