Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peristeen

Peristeen

I've read a number of good testimonials about Peristeen, here and on other forums. But few doctors seem to prescribe it (in the U.S.).

Is there some problem with this? Does it not work for SCI so well? It seems odd to me that it's been approved by the FDA but it's so hard to find a place that prescribes it, and there is not much mention of it here either.

Discussed here many times in the past:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...en#post1757691

(KLD)

Exactly, but that is my point: the info there is very pro Peristeen. My question here is a bit different: if Peristeen is as effective as these articles say, how come so few facilities offer it?

The fact that so few facilities prescribe it makes me wonder if there is some reason that it is not suitable for SCI. That is why it is important to know why all these places don't prescribe it, well respected SCI facilities, e.g Stanford. That is my question, which I have not seen addressed in the prior threads.

I have read through most of the information from the internet about the Peristeen system and had contacted relevant supplier as well in the last few months. I think the system is very good to solve bowel incontinence and convenient to use by a SCI patient with independence as you can operate by your own when you sitting on the toilet whtout asking assistance from others. The problem is how keen the supplier would like to promote this system to the SCI world. From what I got from the staff of this system. They are not. They are really not so keen to promote the system to hospital and clinic through out the world. I can't help someone who is living in HK. I was really odd when a staff at U.S of this system to ask me to go to the neareat country, Korea, to attend a training course if I want to use this system. >_<. You can imagine how frustrated if you hear a staff to tell a SCI patient to take a flight to Korea if you want some assistance. If they are really keen to promote the system throughout the world and would like to help this group of people. Al least they need to set up one local supplier at each major city and this supplier should have a group of trainer to train people to use. We are getting ready to have the prescription from our Dr. at anytime. But we are not able to get the system.

Support is one issue with this product. Also, while it is advertised for SCI individuals, there has been mixed reviews as to how well it works. and there is concern that this is using an enema, which is not recommended for individuals who have a neurogenic bowel. Hope this helps a little.
    ckf

From the instruction video provided by their official website, they use pure water

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Support is one issue with this product. Also, while it is advertised for SCI individuals, there has been mixed reviews as to how well it works. and there is concern that this is using an enema, which is not recommended for individuals who have a neurogenic bowel. Hope this helps a little.
    ckf
    Why would an enema not be recommended for individuals who have a neurogenic bowel? It's working great for me so far.

ckf
    I've probably responded to similar posts like this at least a half dozen times already. I've been using some form of enema for probably the last 10+ years with fantastic success. Magic Bullets, Enemeez, etc. all crapped out on me, as it were -- they became completely ineffective. I've been using the Peristeen for more than 4 years and my bowel program is the best it's been in my 31 year SCI career. I know some people for whom it has not worked, so it's not a panacea for SCI-based neurogenic bowels, but I don't get why there should be any "concern" over its use. Without the Peristeen or something comparable, my quality of life -- because of my neurogenic bowel! -- would suffer immensely.

Using an enema long term stretches the walls of the intestine, making continence difficult to maintain. No, that does not happen in the short term, but over time.
    this is the concern. Sometimes, though you have to weigh the risks versus benefits. If this works for you, and the other methods have stopped, it certainly is one option to consider.

ckf

Using an enema long term stretches the walls of the intestine, making continence difficult to maintain. No, that does not happen in the short term, but over time.
    this is the concern. Sometimes, though you have to weigh the risks versus benefits. If this works for you, and the other methods have stopped, it certainly is one option to consider.

ckf
    Does that include enemeez? I thought I saw kld recommend it.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer