Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power base for van

power base for van

Is their any other good seat bases besides the B&D L51? I like what it can do but hate the way it looks. The bare frame under one's feet looks like a trap for debris etc. Guess I would like it more if it had some type of cover.

I've been using a Ricon base for 15 years and it has been quite reliable.

http://www.riconcorp.com/pages/produ...lity_6-way.asp

B&D are the best but like all seat bases in the industry don't look so good. They just started making one model, the L61, better looking with a charcoal powder coating option and covers like you are talking about. I just saw a L51 with a custom cover/footrest that this mobility place made out of sheet metal covered in carpet for a customer.
    I'm looking for a a L71 for a Jeep that I'm currently building.

L61:

I have a Ricon 6 way sitting in my garage that I don't need or use but it's heavy to ship. Anyone have any ideas of how I can sell it.
    ^^(A)^^

Talk with your local mobility dealer.

Depending on how much you want for it they may buy it or keep it in mind when someone needs to save some money.

We always try and have several used (everything and anything to do with accessible vans) power transfer seats on hand.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Darty, they can be shipped. I bought one and the guy sent it UPS. They weigh about 100lbs. Basically, the guy who sold it to me lowered it all the way, unhooked the control box (to protect it and make it small as possible) and wrapped a few layers of cardboard around it. Not saying they're easy to ship but it can be done. eBay would be the best bet, maybe craigslist for the heck of it.

Thanks for the info I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Darty, they can be shipped. I bought one and the guy sent it UPS. They weigh about 100lbs. Basically, the guy who sold it to me lowered it all the way, unhooked the control box (to protect it and make it small as possible) and wrapped a few layers of cardboard around it. Not saying they're easy to ship but it can be done. eBay would be the best bet, maybe craigslist for the heck of it.
    ^^(A)^^

Hope this helps...
    I just received my van about a month ago and noticed that the B&D control module was flaking off paint. This happened first time I used it at the dealer. Anyways called B&D and they were very nice. We planned to replace control box next time at the dealer.
    I inquired about the pendent control and asked about swapping the box for the pendent. I find the control box ugly, in the way for transfers, and hard to reach when needing to move the chair back from the drive position.

Anyways the dealer did the swap and I couldn't be more happy with the results. The ugly box is gone and the chair looks more "factory". I am able to get closer to the chair without worrying about the chair and the control box getting stuck together when I raise/lower the car seat. I stow the pendent in the back of the driver seat so its easy to get at. I asked the installer to not install the little mount for the pendent. It looks like a cb radio mic mount. Easy to install if I change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    I have a Ricon 6 way sitting in my garage that I don't need or use but it's heavy to ship. Anyone have any ideas of how I can sell it.
    Try craigslist. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone local is in need of one. Guys like me who aren't willing to spend $4k plus on a newly installed one look locally first on craigslist, then we go to ebay. I actually bought a ricon on ebay for $500 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post

L61:

Damn!!! That looks fancy.