Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best solution for a 3 inch high doorway threshold?

What's the best solution for a 3 inch high doorway threshold?

Due to some idiot construction work, my balcony now has a piece of wood across the bottom of the doorway, rendering it basically inaccessible. It's almost 3 inches high and about 4 inches across, as pictured. Lengthwise it spans the entire doorway.

What's the simplest solution, portable ramp-wise?
    Last edited by Scaper1; 07-25-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Did the person doing the construction know you were in a wheelchair? Jeez! Call him back to make some short ramps with wood that flush against the wood .. or maybe he can cut and integrate a wooden ramp?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Did the person doing the construction know you were in a wheelchair? Jeez! Call him back to make some short ramps with wood that flush against the wood .. or maybe he can cut and integrate a wooden ramp?
    This is a really good answer. Threshold ramps can get expensive, and temporary ones made from scrap and tape are crap. A carpenter should be able to fix you right up.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

What the hell! Who would do this?

Now that I've got the shock out of my system, it looks like someone stacked 2x4s side by side to shim up some new sliders to fit a non-standard door opening. Looks like they used construction adhesive to hold the wood together and bond it to the floor (tile). That would make those combined wood dimensions about 3" high by 7" deep. (2x4s aren't actually 2" x 4". They're actually closer to 1.5" x 3.5", if they're standard construction studs.)

I hope this isn't a home or condo you own. If it is, I would demand that it be changed. It would be best if the sliders were replaced with a door that is the correct height for your opening. If build-up construction is indeed necessary (maybe because of cost) it would be better to build this "shim" monstrosity at the top, or lintel. That way, you would enjoy level, barrier free access between areas. Whatever is done, unfinished wood like this will eventually rot from the weather, if not protected.

You can buy ramps like these [see here][and here]. Search "threshold ramp." Or, the cheapest thing you can make would be out of plywood. But of course, you now need a ramp on both sides of the threshold. You'll probably need at least two feet of ramp on each side for a three inch rise. I like using 3/4" plywood for strength. Just an idea below:

Name:  ramp.jpg
Views: 2561
Size:  35.6 KB

I would have that door redone the right way. Even if you were able bodied that is a trip hazard. Not to mention it looks like hell.

Beside they didn't install a threshold. They are usually out of aluminum that the door will seal up with.

If it won't be fixed the proper way try.
    http://www.amazon.com/SafePath-Produ.../dp/B004MB0LCA
    Last edited by cfx; 07-26-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Forgot to mention staining it so it doesn't rot as well.

I wonder if there's an association or contractor's union to appeal to as well?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Ala has the correct design to build but another is way is to float and raise tile to the sill. I did it many times in the business. It is easy for any tile contractro to install. Works well too.

How wide is your balcony? You may not have ramp space on that side. Maybe this just needs to be totally redone correctly. It worked before this install didn't it?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    They should have lowered the header so the door would be flush with the missing threshold or sill. What type of door is in the opening?

A slider or patio door would have a tract/sill on the bottom to control the moving door when sliding open and closed. When we remodeled my large 2 car garage into an accessible home, the large doors were removed and replaced with 6 foot sliders. Off course we built lower headers so the bottom tract would sit on the concrete floor. Unfortunately since the slider was added later, the bottom tract was 1 1/2 inches high. Purchased short rubber 36'' long, Nosing Ramps from Diestco but the tallest one is only 1 3/4 inches.

There are Sliders and French Doors that are ADA- Compliant with low profile sills or tracts that are 3/4'' off the base flooring.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 07-26-2015 at 04:54 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks for all the suggestions. The whole thing has been a nightmare, going back 20 years to renos that weren't done properly when we made the original deck into a sun room and built a new deck extension. It leaked in various places and was rebuilt last year, but again without proper drainage. The latest guy had to slope it after the fact, hence the need for a build-up at the doorway.

I'll give those portable ramps a try. At this point the prospect of even more construction is not very appealing.