Thread: Please Help_Looking for way to help my Quadriplegic Pal use Computer Independently.

Red face Please Help_Looking for way to help my Quadriplegic Pal use Computer Independently.

7-25-2015
    Please Help, Looking or for a way to help my Quadriplegic friend use a Computer Independently.

Hello everyone! I have a friend who is a quadriplegic, I think C6, C7!!! He can shrug his shoulders picking up his hands a bit, although no finger dexterity whatsoever!!! Is there any technolgy available for him to control a computer! He has Windows Xp & could be possible to upgrade if need be.
    Do you know of any particular brands of technology, type of all in one,USB equipment such as a joystick for navigation with some huge buttons to click enter and other auxiliary functions, perhaps software included. Money is a problem so any high end very expensive technology may be dilemma/problematic, but please educate me anyway!!! Please include websites addresses or other thread on this Forum please if you have any ideas. By the way I am a paraplegic and trying to help this young man to gain access to a computer! He has no one to rely on at this time.

Thank you for taking the time to view this thread. I invite all ideas please.
    Jr.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I am a quad and a lot of us use a trackball mouse. Many folks like the Kensington Expert mouse and I have both the Kensington Orbit Trackball mouse with Scroll Ring and the LX-R15 Optical Trackball Mouse. I have had a problem with the left click on the LX so when it finally breaks switching to the Ken Orbit.

I type with a pointer on my hand, one key at a time. I move the ball with the palm of my right hand and left click with the side of my left hand.

store.ergoguys.com have lots of options.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 07-25-2015 at 10:06 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I would suggest that whatever you do, do not disconnect the keyboard from the computer. While his finger dexterity is limited, there is nothing like the keyboard to improve it. It may be slow but it can happen. Ry (incomplete C-2 with TBI) has had great improvement over the years in his finger usage. He still has other finger and hand issues but can use his keyboard-maybe not as fast but functional.

Another thing to explore is dragon speak. If he can speak with any level of volume, he should be able to use it to use his computer. It, like everything, is not perfect, but is a huge step in the needed direction.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

i'm a c6/7 quad with no hand flexors (no grip) but i do have full use of my wrists and elbows. i use a normal mouse by laying my right hand on the mouse with my fingers resting on the buttons. I then use the side of my left thumb on top of my right hand to click using my wrist to push downward. i use the keyboard with my thumbs as well. no idea what function your friend has...hope u get something figured out. also...if mousing works out, windows has an on screen keyboard you can use with the pointer. hope this helps...
    C6/7 Complete

14 years post injury

I am a C4/5 quadriplegic and the only thing that I use is a trackball mouse and Dragon speaking software. I never really use the regular keyboard anymore, and if I do I use the on-screen keyboard. With a little bit of training though, you can use Dragon to do everything for you. Obviously a little cumbersome, but you could literally use your computer hands-free.

I'm a C5 quad with no hand function. I use a regular keyboad by typing with my pinky knuckle. Sounds strange but it works very well for me. I also use a Taxsys trackball mouse (http://www.infogrip.com/roller-plus-trackball-1.html). I'ts a little expensive but works great. Hope these help.