Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: expectation

expectation

do I expect to much

I have a gal 1 hr a day 10.00 per hr

Monday pu mail on way to house throw clothes in dryer help transfer me to standing frame start vacuuming house< she usually gets done 1 br 10x12 with furnure in it hall way 3'x 5 office 10x12

pour me a glass of milk take out a bucket of dish water for garden put in container takes about 30 minuts then 30 minutes to help undress bathe get dressed leave

tues pu mail vacuum front room 16x 26 maybe get bedroom started 30 minutes then bathe

wed mail finish vacuum bedroom bathe room take diahwater out to garden if anthing ready cut bring in house < I have 10 pepper plant 4 tomotes>

thurs l mail ask her to look around see something please do

same Friday
    off sat sunday every 2 weeks I strip bed she makes it as I am standing on sun change cover on cushion I have to tell her wah it down with vinegar water

I have her mop house 2 times a month vacuum 2 times I would really like it every week but that aint happening

she told me Monday she was being over worked underpaid and hatedte garden not doing it any more seriously she just takes the water out and cuts the veggies off 23 times aweek 10 minutes tops

hate to mops floors

so thoughts yes she is dependable and trust worthy this was out of the blue

When you hired her did you have a written job description that spelled out all these duties and a contract that included that information as well as her pay? Have you changed her duties since that time? Changed her pay?

(KLD)

What type of floors do your have? I would like to assume to have hard floors as they are so much easier to wheel on. I also do not know what your level of injury is. I am assuming you can do may things for yourself as she is only there for an hour a day. How much help do you need with bathing? I ask because I manage to run the sweeper over the floors in the common areas and Ry's room every day while he is in the shower. I mop his room on Mon, Wed, Fri (while he is in the shower or in the standing frame). He does not need assistance to transfer to the standing frame and the only assistance he needs to shower is bracing the shower chair and wheel him in there and back. I also pass him his towel when he is ready and take the shower chair to the shower to dry once he is back in his power chair.

It sounds to me like you have a raised bed garden that she waters (with grey water) and harvests the peppers and tomatoes. It is not like you are asking her to weed and prepare the veggies. I have a well so watering is not an issue for my beds. Ry goes out with me to harvest and we grow lettuce, carrots, peas, radishes, broccoli, cabbage, potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, onions, beans, herbs and have chickens running around. The only time I go alone is when it is over 90 outside. He may sometimes do nothing but hold the basket and help with the initial rinse of the veggies at the outside table. He also feeds the chickens and holds the basket for morning and evening egg collections. I do the lunchtime collections on my own as it is usually too hot (all my hens seem to have their own time to lay their eggs and I think some lay 2 a day.

I agree that you need to have a defined job description but even if your rooms are carpeted, she should be able to do more floor cleaning than is getting done. I know that finding a new person is hard but unfortunately, that may be where you are.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

If you're really paying her for one hour per day at ten dollars per day and the employee is not reimbursed for time and money spent commuting, I'd have to agree she is underpaid, without a doubt. It's hard to believe anyone would travel to and from a job for ten dollars.

Back pre-SCI I quit a job because they wanted me to come in one day a week for 1 hour at $18.00 an hour in addition to my regular schedule, took me a half hour to get there, and I'm assuming someone making ten dollars an hour with short shifts isn't making enough to own a car so it's probably an even longer commute for her. Perhaps she agreed to this job before realizing how much unpaid time she was commuting and is now regretting the decision.

to sci nurse

no it was verbal light hpouse keeping and helping me bathe I mop the kitchen and the back sunroom my self I have a big blue industrial mop that I use. I also clean the roll in shower stall

my floors are concrete where we had the carpet pulled up for where we bought . this was a nasty dirty house when we bought it. I get a outside person to do windows `1 a year

funklab she is on disability herself ans its a 3 mile drive I don/t show her on taxes plus if she picks up milk or something I always give her extra

acutally I water she just carries it and puts in a container is usually about 3 to 5 gallons every other day

the way we mop is tae a watering can pour water on floor about 4 x 10 then take broom go back and forth take wet vac suck up she hates it would rather use mop but I don/t see how you can

mopas a floor with 1 bucket of water and get it clean the water when we use wet vac it terrible dirty

sorry did not mean to.....

I just hate hate that I can not do totally for myself

Look into a Libman mop. It has a removable head and a reservoir for the cleaning liquid. The heads are washable and the whole unit weighs less than 5 bounds. The only contact with water is turning on the faucet to fill it. I put about 1/4 cup of Pinesol into the reservoir and fill with water. Put it on the unit, put on a clean pad and go to town. The best part is, no excess water to be mopped up and no contact with dirty water. As long as your concrete floors are not too rough, it could be the perfect solution. The unit cost me about $20 at Walmart and I Love it for all my hard floors. I have used it on hardwoods (living room and hallway) tile (kitchen and baths), bamboo (Ry's room and exercise room). As long as I do them regularly, I can get it all done with one pad. I did get extra because sometimes, thing happen and you need to clean up a mess. The fact that they can be laundered makes them much more affordable and easier to use than the disposable things.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

I will look at it this weekend thank you lol I want some chickens we used to have them but...

Failure to have a contract and job description makes it nearly impossible to properly supervise and hold your employee to any "verbal" agreement. Suggest you develop one NOW, and continue to use these in the future for other employees.

I guess I missed that she is only working 1 hour daily. I would agree that in my area, 2 hours is usually the minimum time you need to have to get someone to agree to a short shift, even if working "off the books" (which I suspect this person is doing), and $10 is on the low end for wages, esp. given that she is not getting any benefits (and I assume you are not withholding Social Security, federal or state taxes, etc. etc. etc.). This could very easily come back and bite you.

(KLD)

I agree with KLD and others above. A written job description is a must. Not having one is a common cause of helper-employer disagreements. Also, the pay is low. When you figure in travel time and car cost ($.60 per mile-AAA) she is making nothing. I employ part timers here in South Carolina for 1-2 hours to cover my needs 3 days a week. Their hourly pay ranges from $20 to $25 for the first hour. Time beyond that is calculated on a base rate that ranges from about $13.50 to about $17 per hour. They are paid time and a half when they work on major holidays. They could make about $10 per hour working for homecare agencies but most of these agencies guarantee at least 4 hours per visit. Wages here in SC are generally lower than in GA. Good reliable workers are worth the extra pay. I would not be able to keep a good worker here for the job you describe at the $10 rate.

I must add that my employees are hired legally. You can get into big trouble for not complying with state and federal requirements for domestic employees.
    Last edited by SCIfor55yrs.; 07-23-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

good food for thought I appreciate your feedback