Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who here uses a RTI FES bike and do you like it and have had good luck with it?

Who here uses a RTI FES bike and do you like it and have had good luck with it?

I was just wondering what the consensus of the reliability and ease of use and exercise of the RTI is? I use a Electrologic Galaxy and no issues at all, never any problems and easy to use and hassle free, no data connection or anything. Been using for 15 years now and amazes me how trouble free it's been. Can those with the RTI units say the same? I think the oldest RTI's would be around ten years now.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

ive got one curt its easy i rode the galaxy and the ergys in rehab this rti doesnt take up hardly any space and you can follow your progress it updates automatically the people there have been great to work with i use mine 3 to 4 times a week an hour each time they send you weekly emails of your ride or you can also log into there site and see every ride youve done and how far total miles youv done the weekly email they send tells you about each session of the week but i think you can opt out of that if you want but not positive
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Yeah easy and reliable.. the folks have been nice.
    Just wish it was easier to put pads on my butt

Anyone know of an RTI users forum where you could discuss how to best adjust setting and get the most out of the unit etc. plus what all the settings really mean

Interesting, well that's good news, I thought maybe a lot of folks were having problems with these RTI FES Bikes, a friend of mine had one and never uses it because he said it kept on breaking on him, he actually has enough parts to build another one, I just don't think he is really into it as I told him I'd fix it for him and it was like he could care less.

As far as putting the pads on your butt, I a friend of mine taught me a trick around 15 years ago. You simply have the pad wired already and just do a lean lift to the right and place the pads on your left butt cheek, then do a left lean lift and put the pads on your right butt cheek. This a was a real time saver for me and much more easy than trying to put on the pads before getting on the bike and then struggling to connect the pad wires, hope this helps somebody.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I've had an RTI RT300 for about four years now. I think it's great, but it has broken several times in several ways:
    1. The stimulator cable connectors kept failing. Fortunately, I'm an electrical engineer, so I was able to source cheap replacement connectors (not nearly as nice or sturdy as the originals) and solder them into place. Eventually, so many failed that I bought a new one (very expensive) with reinforced connectors. Hopefully it'll last longer.
    2. The batteries in the RT50 wireless stimulators failed pretty quickly
    3. The screen on the SAGE7 (the computer part) failed recently and I had to get it refurbished (also expensive)

As for the positive, I've noticed much better circulation in both of my legs. Both legs have also increased significantly in muscle mass. My right leg, in particular, is far more muscular than it was when I started. I think I've also gotten a tiny, tiny bit of feeling back in small patches around my crotch and upper legs.

I guess my point has been proven that the RTI is not very reliable and very expensive to buy and repair and keep in operation. Before the release of they RTI they promised a very reasonably priced option for those who wanted to do FES, as I remember under $8000.00. It has never panned out. I'll keep using my Electrologic as long as possible, no real reliability issues over the 15 years it's been in use and I have plenty of spare parts for when/if problems do arise eventually. Chances are though the bike will outlive me, it's pretty rock solid.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Interesting, well that's good news, I thought maybe a lot of folks were having problems with these RTI FES Bikes, a friend of mine had one and never uses it because he said it kept on breaking on him, he actually has enough parts to build another one, I just don't think he is really into it as I told him I'd fix it for him and it was like he could care less.

As far as putting the pads on your butt, I a friend of mine taught me a trick around 15 years ago. You simply have the pad wired already and just do a lean lift to the right and place the pads on your left butt cheek, then do a left lean lift and put the pads on your right butt cheek. This a was a real time saver for me and much more easy than trying to put on the pads before getting on the bike and then struggling to connect the pad wires, hope this helps somebody.
    Why don't you borrow your friends RTI and decide for yourself. We have 2 at the gym and I think the benefits vastly outweigh the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    Why don't you borrow your friends RTI and decide for yourself. We have 2 at the gym and I think the benefits vastly outweigh the problems.
    Why would I want to? I'm more than happy with my Galaxy and feel it offers a much better workout without all the problems.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Blog Entries
    Why would I want to? I'm more than happy with my Galaxy and feel it offers a much better workout without all the problems.
    When's the last time you upgraded your cartridge? How do you know it provides a "much better workout" without trying the RTI? Why did the manufacturer go out of business over 10 years ago? If you are more than happy with your galaxy then why did you ask the question?

Blog Entries
    I guess my point has been proven that the RTI is not very reliable and very expensive to buy and repair and keep in operation. Before the release of they RTI they promised a very reasonably priced option for those who wanted to do FES, as I remember under $8000.00. It has never panned out. I'll keep using my Electrologic as long as possible, no real reliability issues over the 15 years it's been in use and I have plenty of spare parts for when/if problems do arise eventually. Chances are though the bike will outlive me, it's pretty rock solid.
    If you have never had any problems then why so many spare parts?