Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solutions for keeping feet from sliding off front of footrest

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    This is a great Thread. Thanks, gjnl, for directing us here from a different Thread.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Thought I would add my comment to this thread as well
    This will probably be frowned on having read the other thread but depending on the design of your chair you could do what I did pictured here. A piece of pvc pipe cut to length, inch pipe I think, drilled a hole in each end to attach a bungee cord to hold in place and off my feet and pipe insulation for padding and this does a great job. I just kept a close watch on my legs at first to make sure sores did not develop. And yes as stated in both threads there are serious unintended results with doing this but have been using this daily basis since April 2016 and it has not been a problem. Almost tried to transfer out of my chair a couple of times before taking bar off but so far have remembered before actually transfering.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    I've tried to transfer with my dress clamped into the wheelchair brake lock. It happens. The bar across your feet is just one more way it can happen.

So, you take the bar on and off whenever you get in or out of the chair?
    Female, T9 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    I've tried to transfer with my dress clamped into the wheelchair brake lock. It happens. The bar across your feet is just one more way it can happen.

So, you take the bar on and off whenever you get in or out of the chair?

Yes

If it is a solid frame you're using, the footrest can be angled down by using a lever to bend the back portion down a bit which will keep your feet from sliding off the footrest.

To those who warn against using a strap because of fractures, what is your solution to prevent fractures from spasms slamming toes and shins into walls and sharp edges of furniture? Are we supposed to wear shoes and shin guards 24/7? What about social and business settings? We can't be kicking people. What do you suggest we do then?

Here is my solution. Use your discretion.

1. I use these light duty straps. The heavy duty straps are overkill.
    2. Cut them 2x the width of the front bars + 2". I cut the end into a V shape, which makes it easier to slide into the clasp.
    3. Use a lighter to melt the frayed end.
    4. While the end is still melted, squeeze it between two pieces of cardboard to flatten it out so that it fits through the clasp.
    5. After the melted end cools, trim the end with scissors.
    6. I loop the strap across the front bars, low enough so that the strap touches my shoes and loose enough for my feet to kick 3".

If I get a spasm, my feet kick to the front of the footplate but not off it. If I fall or forget the strap is in place when I transfer out the 3" slack lets my ankles slide freely and prevents fracture. I have done this for years. I have fallen and I have transferred out with the strap in place without a fracture.

Do not lock your feet into place! That is dangerous. You risk breaking your ankles if you fall or forget and transfer out.
    Attached Images Attached Images