Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: swollen feets

Ry does not cath. he just uses his urinal, which can be harder in the middle of the night since he has to aim. Spill incidents can be counted on one hand with fingers left. If he spills, he wakes me up so he does not sleep in a wet bed. He has his cell phone on his chair and can summon me at any time.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

I'm a paraplegic (at T-5) and on most days (over three years) my feet will swell, but like yours the swelling is gone in the morning. I guess the real question to ask is "Is this dangerous to my health?"

No it is not dangerous at this point but if you put compression hose on before getting out of bed then your probably wouldn't swell> Over time it could worsen and they would stay swollen all the time and you might get venous stasis ulcers. And Deep vein thrombosis could become an issue.
    CWO

how do you know which size to get/ my legs and feet have started this and not goiing down

Each brand of compression hose has guidelines for sizing and how to measure your legs. Of course it is best to get measurements before getting up in the morning so that you have the least amount of edema already.

(KLD)

Air Relax

I know it is pricey and quite a luxury, but I'm having great luck with an "Air Relax", Air Compression Device. This unit has inflatable leg cuffs, air hose and compressor unit. I use it 30 to 45 minutes every evening with my feet elevated (adjustable Sleep Number bed). It was a birthday present.

The device is Federal Drug Administration approved, carries the CE Mark ("CE" Marking which is the abbreviation of the French phrase Conformite Europeene which means European Conformity, and the ISO13484 mark (International Organization for Standardization) which is the internationally agreed standard that sets out the requirements for a quality management system specific to the medical devices industry. It has recently been revised, with the new version published in March 2016.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Each brand of compression hose has guidelines for sizing and how to measure your legs. Of course it is best to get measurements before getting up in the morning so that you have the least amount of edema already.

(KLD)
    thanks i can take a tape measure to bed and do it am i sa on jobst prices 10.00 can u give some guide line what to look for

thanks in advance

Lympedema pumps have been around for some time. Not something you wear for prevention, but for treatment of conditions such as post-DVT lymphedema or lympedema from damage to the venous or lymph vessels.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    thanks i can take a tape measure to bed and do it am i sa on jobst prices 10.00 can u give some guide line what to look for. thanks in advance
    Information on doing measurements for Jobst brand compression garments:

http://www.jobststockings.com/how_to_measure.php

(KLD)

I've been measured by an orthotist for compression stockings. My calves and ankles are sooooo skinny that they can't find a pair that will fit me. The stockings that I have tried cut so much circulation off at my lower foot/toes and yet are baggy around my calves and thighs, and don't do a thing for circulation. But, hey. I'm a very different body type, 6'3" tall and 125 lbs.

I have a Permobil m300 with full tilt in space and recline. So, I try to spend time during the day using these features to work circulation. But compression stockings on me are just a waste of money.

We all have to find what works for us and our body types. Walk in my moccasins as my sister (rest her dear soul) used to say.