Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: swollen feets

swollen feets

Dear friends,

Lately i noticed that my legs are bigger and swollen during the day and they come to normal in the morning, after sleeping. I stay almost all long day in the wheelchair.

What can I do in order to avoid swollen feets while I'm staying in the wheelchair? Those days is a very hot weather and I'm assuming that is a correlation too. Is there any correlation? Do you have any advice for me?

ps: I'm a quad ASIA B type.

Quote Originally Posted by ddoug View Post
    Dear friends,

Lately i noticed that my legs are bigger and swollen during the day and they come to normal in the morning, after sleeping. I stay almost all long day in the wheelchair.

What can I do in order to avoid swollen feets while I'm staying in the wheelchair? Those days is a very hot weather and I'm assuming that is a correlation too. Is there any correlation? Do you have any advice for me?

ps: I'm a quad ASIA B type.

I've been a quad for 34years. And I have the same problem for all of those years. A vigorous workout eaach day wil help but not clear it up completely. I also raise my feet with pillows for a couple of hours before I go to sleep each night.

Dependent edema is common in anyone who has paralysis. Wearing compression hose can help, as can leg elevation when laying down. Try to get a time in the middle of the day when you can lay down and elevate your legs for a while. Using elevating leg rests in your wheelchair is not a good idea, and this puts a lot more pressure on your ischiums and can lead to pressure ulcers. Use of diuretic medications should be the absolute last resort for management of leg edema, due to their side effects.

(KLD)

If you have a place (we use the exercise mat but a bed will do) to lie on your back with your butt almost to the wall and your legs and feet up the wall. The excess fluid will drain very quickly. You may need assistance but once you figure out how to get the legs and feet up (think using the wall corner), ten minutes in the middle of you stretching sequence should make a big difference. Also, compression stockings (ted hose) at night will help.

You need to be prepared that when the fluid drains, your bladder will need to also. Depending on your bladder management system, you may need to cath about an hour after raising your legs or in the night when using ted hose at night.

We are experiencing the extreme heat and humidity also and a couple of weeks ago, had the A/C go out. Ry's ankles looked like mine when I was pregnant with him and we elevated 2 times a day and ted hosed at night. Because we were pushing the fluids to beat the heat, his feet and lower legs got HUGE. Because he is able to control his bladder, he would pee copious amounts after leg raises (do not do them too long or make sure the butt is off the mat to prevent pressure). We use "chicken fat" and wedges to make sure there is no pressure on his butt while we do this. I have also had to get up multiple times in the night to dump his urinal (parks on the tie down loop of his chair beside the bed at night). but this is more than worth it to ensure that he is well hydrated and his water retention are under control.

You have to remember that you have to continue to make it up as you go along. As long as you keep safety in mind, go for it.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

ted hoes - compression socks. have you tried them if not google them
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    After spending 10 hours in the wheelchair, my feet used to look like footballs with toes sticking out. Once I began to do like KLD recommended and wear compression hose, my feet are almost normal at the end of the day.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Big THANK YOU to all, for the valuable informations. I'll definitely try to lay down in the middle of the day and find compression socks.

Unfortunately I'll have to quit drinking coffee for some days at least. This is the hard part, but I'll do it. I'm saying about quitting coffee because (in my case at least), it has a diuretic effect.

all the best

Good morning friends,

New to the forum, but a reader for some time. I have found great success in Jobst compression socks. I find them to be the best brand after trying several. I took a spill doing some wet steps by the pool last year and broke a femur, they were by far the best way to keep swelling down. Even better then the $400 custom ones my PT made me order. If you order on amazon, they even set up a re-purchase program where they ship out new ones every 1-2 months. 1 year after my fracture and I still wear them to keep any swelling away.

TEDS bind up and are a hassle to get on and off. I was in hosp last week and we raised the foot of the bed and had some anti bloodclot things on the legs and in 3 days the enema was almost down to 0 but feet are like footballs again. I have a wedge pillow but my legs just fold and spasm and wont stay up so next plan is to stick a 2 x 4 under food of bed.

Backwoodsrider,

Try putting your legs up the wall. you do not need to do this for the whole night, just for 30 minutes or so. Teds are a pain but they also help. Trying to raise your legs for the entire night may put excess pressure on your lower back and that can lead to pressure issues at your sacrum. --eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09