Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you quads drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I was curious about the 1500 vs 2500 so I looked at the parts diagrams, that might be tough one to upgrade. The caliper carrier is bolted directly to the steering knuckle, which is completely different between the 1500 and 2500. Might be quite extensive in the new parts department getting bigger brakes on that. I'm sort of thinking that optimizing the hand controls leverage ratio might be a better avenue to address the issue. Maybe set them up to give more leverage on the brake pedal? The hand controls would have more travel, but it would be easier to get the needed brake pressure.
    Upgrading the 1500 is a nightmare because of parts availability and cost. The other issue is liability and voiding the factory warranty. The 2500 is easy and affordable to upgrade. Your idea of the hand control mods may help too. I ended up just using a quality slotted and drilled rotor to improve cooling along with good matched ceramic pads. While it wasn't the ideal solution but it did improve the stopping quite a bit. Maybe there is a manufacturer out there making an affordable big brake kit, but I had no luck finding one at the time.

are the express 1500 and Silverado 1500 compatible I wonder?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

The Express 1500 has 12 in rotors on front and 13 in on rear. The Silverado has 13 in on front and 13.5 on rear.

Quote Originally Posted by GinoL View Post
    The Express 1500 has 12 in rotors on front and 13 in on rear. The Silverado has 13 in on front and 13.5 on rear.
    do you mean 13 frt and 12 rear? my frts are bigger than rears.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

The older Express did have 12 on front and 13 on rear, kind of a strange setup when most of the work is being done by the front!

As a C4-C5 quad I have had similar braking problems driving a full sized van. It is true you can see farther ahead and anticipate most situations but the panic stop is the problem. I have owned 5 vans now and as I get older I am more cautious, we have played around with the hand controls both MPD and Monarch. I have had custom levers/handles made to improve leverage and stopping power and they all helped to a degree. The solution I settled on was removing the power break booster and replacing it with a sensitized booster. Sensitized boosters are used and installed in many self contained motor-homes and will cut the effort needed from 75 lbs to 15 lbs. The cost is about $250.00 to $350.00 plus the install by a mechanic who just needs to do a booster swap.

Race cars also suffer from low manifold pressure to the brake booster because of high lift cams and low idle speeds so there are other options like hydro boosters and reserve vacuum tanks but they are all very complicated and $$$.

http://gmcmotorhome.info/brakes.html

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g6...e-booster.html

Upgrading the 1500 is a nightmare because of parts availability and cost. The other issue is liability and voiding the factory warranty. The 2500 is easy and affordable to upgrade. Your idea of the hand control mods may help too. I ended up just using a quality slotted and drilled rotor to improve cooling along with good matched ceramic pads. While it wasn't the ideal solution but it did improve the stopping quite a bit. Maybe there is a manufacturer out there making an affordable big brake kit, but I had no luck finding one at the time.
    Last edited by darty; 08-03-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    ^^(A)^^

I have a Ford E-150 and have no issues with the brakes, and it has rear drum brakes. On the other had I have a VW Eurovan with disc front/rear and doesn't stop as well as the Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    I have a Ford E-150 and have no issues with the brakes, and it has rear drum brakes. On the other had I have a VW Eurovan with disc front/rear and doesn't stop as well as the Ford.
    I honestly thought my old '78 Chevy conversion van with front disc and rear drums stopped better than the newer ones with all disc! It could be due to more brake pad surface area contact. The real issue with the Chevy Express Explorer conversion vans is that the weight of the hightop conversion, mobility equipment and over sized wheels/tires are just too much for the small 12/13" rotors. The rotors are fine for a stock van. Hopefully though all these contributions John will get his issues resolved.

Great idea on the booster! Maybe that will help John.

Great idea on the booster! Maybe that will help John.
    I think the booster is well worth considering. Switching parts out and those other mods run into real money fast. With the booster, just keep an eye out that you don't wear out your pads too fast and have to get new rotors.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.