Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 129

Thread: Do any of you quads drive?

  1. #11
    C5-6 here; been driving for 22 years. Always used basic set of MPDs. Last car was a 2000 Trans Am and Im currently on the hunt for a good used C6. I have had two vans over the years and didnt like either. Too much work to get in with a manual chair and way too expensive to maintain. They always let me down either at work or before work; both places you dont need to be let down!

    BTW I cross my feet and pull them up close to the seat to prevent interference by any spasms.

    Ben
    C5-6 - 22 years

  2. #12
    You guys make it sound so easy, I can't transfer and have a weak right arm
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

  3. #13
    C5-6 and I've been driving full size vans for 43 years. First was a 1973 Dodge with a homemade lift made by a local apple processing machine shop. It should be in the Smithsonian! I driven Chevy's and my last 3 vans have been Fords, E150 and E250. I have zero triceps so use my shoulders and balance to transfer and I've always transferred onto a 6-way power seat....until just last weekend. I just bought a used E250 with lowered floor and EZ-Locks. After 43 years of transfering multiple times a day, my shoulders are on the way to being worn out so I figured I'd better go this route for my next van. I still have my current E150 with 210K miles and I'd drive it until it drops.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,993
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    C5-6 and I've been driving full size vans for 43 years. First was a 1973 Dodge with a homemade lift made by a local apple processing machine shop. It should be in the Smithsonian! I driven Chevy's and my last 3 vans have been Fords, E150 and E250. I have zero triceps so use my shoulders and balance to transfer and I've always transferred onto a 6-way power seat....until just last weekend. I just bought a used E250 with lowered floor and EZ-Locks. After 43 years of transfering multiple times a day, my shoulders are on the way to being worn out so I figured I'd better go this route for my next van. I still have my current E150 with 210K miles and I'd drive it until it drops.
    Do you use a tri-pin for steering and gas/brake and if so, how do you use turn signals while your hands are in the tri-pins?

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    Do you use a tri-pin for steering and gas/brake and if so, how do you use turn signals while your hands are in the tri-pins?
    I've never used a tri-pin but rather the U shaped device. I just flex my wrist for a tight grip when turning, etc. I steer with my right and gas/brake with my left. I just take my hand off the gas to slap the turn signal to engage when I'm moving. If I'm stopped and need t engage it, I'll just reach across with my right hand.

    Steering with yor right hand is the way to go so you lean against the door with your left elbow for more leverage and stability.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

  6. #16
    same here, just slap. glad u went full size. those minis are small.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    I've never used a tri-pin but rather the U shaped device. I just flex my wrist for a tight grip when turning, etc. I steer with my right and gas/brake with my left. I just take my hand off the gas to slap the turn signal to engage when I'm moving. If I'm stopped and need t engage it, I'll just reach across with my right hand.

    Steering with yor right hand is the way to go so you lean against the door with your left elbow for more leverage and stability.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  7. #17
    Senior Member darty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,208
    C4-C5 here and have been driving for 34 years. I also drive full sized Fords from my chair with EZlock, hand controls on the left and steer with my right but I use a spinner knob and a chest belt to help me balance. Like you I let go of the hand control to slap the turn signal up or down and I lean left against the door when turning to stabilize my trunk. But I have gone 1 step farther and mounted a padded block on the drivers door that I can hook my elbow under on left turns for more stability and safety which works great for me.



    Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    I've never used a tri-pin but rather the U shaped device. I just flex my wrist for a tight grip when turning, etc. I steer with my right and gas/brake with my left. I just take my hand off the gas to slap the turn signal to engage when I'm moving. If I'm stopped and need t engage it, I'll just reach across with my right hand.

    Steering with yor right hand is the way to go so you lean against the door with your left elbow for more leverage and stability.
    ^^(A)^^

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    But I have gone 1 step farther and mounted a padded block on the drivers door that I can hook my elbow under on left turns for more stability and safety which works great for me.
    Sounds interesting. Got a pic?
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

  9. #19
    Senior Member darty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,208

    Door stick

    Here it is nothing fancy just a wood stick (the kind used to stake plants) covered in duck tape and screwed to the door panel at the height I need it then a little Gorilla glue in the crack between the door and stick for some extra hold.



    Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Sounds interesting. Got a pic?
    Name:  1996 ford 004.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  232.9 KBName:  1996 ford 003.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  231.4 KBName:  1996 ford 002.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  231.8 KB
    ^^(A)^^

  10. #20
    Got ya Darty, thanks. Just something to catch your elbow to stop the lean.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Similar Threads

  1. Quads that drive
    By SlomoScott in forum Life
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-25-2016, 05:16 PM
  2. Quads that drive
    By iburkhart13 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-11-2016, 12:49 AM
  3. Quads who drive
    By HeathQuad in forum Equipment
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 11:10 PM
  4. Qs for quads who drive
    By tegdirb in forum Life
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 09:51 PM
  5. Any C4/5 quads who can drive?
    By duceno1 in forum Life
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 02:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •