Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Do any of you quads drive?

Do any of you quads drive?

I'm a c5/6 and if you drive what kind of system do you have, also how much did you pay to get it installed.
    I'm unable to transfer from chair to bed, have no triceps so I could only drive from my chair...
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Yes, I drive. I'm c5/6 as well. I've got a full size Ford van and I drive from a manual chair. I use the EZ lock system. It adds weight to your chair, but if you can't transfer into a drivers seat than it's pretty much your only option. I went to a local fabricator and got my EZ lock bracket re-done in aluminum to help reduce the weight. If you're in a power chair, then weight won't be a factor. My hand controls are a push/pull with a tri-pin. Push forward for break and pull back to accelerate. I also have a tri-pin on the steering wheel.

Look for a full size van with the floor already lowered and a lift installed. You'll need a van with the floor lowered because driving from your chair makes you taller than sitting in a drivers seat. Then you can get fitted for the hand controls that work best for you. My hand controls installed with a few more minor modifications was about $2500. Try to avoid the EMC electronic system. It's ultra expensive and unreliable, at least in my experience. If possible, you want your hand controls to be mechanical not electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Extrmmxer View Post
    Yes, I drive. I'm c5/6 as well. I've got a full size Ford van and I drive from a manual chair. I use the EZ lock system. It adds weight to your chair, but if you can't transfer into a drivers seat than it's pretty much your only option. I went to a local fabricator and got my EZ lock bracket re-done in aluminum to help reduce the weight. If you're in a power chair, then weight won't be a factor. My hand controls are a push/pull with a tri-pin. Push forward for break and pull back to accelerate. I also have a tri-pin on the steering wheel.

Look for a full size van with the floor already lowered and a lift installed. You'll need a van with the floor lowered because driving from your chair makes you taller than sitting in a drivers seat. Then you can get fitted for the hand controls that work best for you. My hand controls installed with a few more minor modifications was about $2500. Try to avoid the EMC electronic system. It's ultra expensive and unreliable, at least in my experience. If possible, you want your hand controls to be mechanical not electric.
    Gotcha but I already have a 2008 braun sienna with 29k miles on it, van looks like new so all I need is hand controls

I'm c5/6 as well.
    A few years ago I bought a used Dodge Caravan with a Braun Entervan Conversion on it.
    It wasn't set up to drive.

Things added so I can drive.
    Hand controls & tri-pin on the steering wheel.
    Drive-Master's Reduced Effort Steering.
    EZ lock system & EZ lock bracket on bottom of my power.
    Knob extentions for Head Lights, Wiper, Air & Heat controls.
    Seat belt bracket.
    Key holder.
    Cost was between 7 to 8 thousand.

my right arm is messed up i have a torn pec muscle that makes it impossible to push the brake, me left arm is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatiron View Post
    I'm c5/6 as well.
    A few years ago I bought a used Dodge Caravan with a Braun Entervan Conversion on it.
    It wasn't set up to drive.

Things added so I can drive.
    Hand controls & tri-pin on the steering wheel.
    Drive-Master's Reduced Effort Steering.
    EZ lock system & EZ lock bracket on bottom of my power.
    Knob extentions for Head Lights, Wiper, Air & Heat controls.
    Seat belt bracket.
    Key holder.
    Cost was between 7 to 8 thousand.

im c5-6 always drove cars just went to full size van, love it. I use a board and transfer into drivers transfer seat. I have never had any luck with the tripin, I pull my hand out.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

C4-C5 here been driving full size Ford vans for 30 years. I started out in a manual chair with EZlock but moved to a power chair about 20 years ago. I have been luck and was able to purchase all my vans used with low miles, they all had lowered floors, lifts and lock downs in them so I only needed some adjustments.

1. 1985 Ford E-150 30,000 miles lowered floor, Braun swingaway lift, EZlock and MPD hand controls, paid $12k
    2. 1994 Ford E-150 26,000 miles lowered floor, Braun swingaway lift, EZlock and MPD hand controls, paid $22k
    3. 1996 Ford Club Wagon XLT 13,000 Miles lowered floor, Braun swingaway lift, EZlock and MPD hand controls, sensitized brake booster, paid $8,500

I have the 1994 back home in Chicago with 145,000 miles on it and drive it when we go back to visit. The 1996 Club Wagon is my dally driver here at home it now has 64,000 miles on it. I just purchased my first mini van and am slowly fixing it up and making the necessary adjustments to drive it.

4. 2002 Chevy Venture LS 22,000 Miles, lowered floor, Ricon folding ramp, kneeling system, removable drivers seat, Monarch A1 hand controls, EZlock, sensitized brake booster, paid $8,500

They are out there just take your time and look around you'll find a nice one.

Good luck!
    ^^(A)^^

c5/6 here also, been driving 30+ years. Drive a honda Odyssey(Rollx conversion) from power chair. Use regular hand controls. Had a grip built for me 30 years ago I use to this day. Tri Pin didn't work. The only other thing I had installed was sensor system for wipers because unable to turn them on while driving. It was an after market addition I bought on Amazon. I have had Dodges in past but Odyssey is a dream ride for me.

Do any of you take anti spasm meds for driving?

No not just for driving but I do take my regular daily meds. If I drive long distances I need to stop every hour or two to stretch and move around for a few minutes then back on the road. Just daily local driving running errands are not a problem.
    ^^(A)^^