Thread: Pain and diet

Question Pain and diet

I am a researcher interested in SCI pain. Recently talked to a woman with paraplegia who is a trained nutritionist. She eliminated grain, sugar and most milk products from her diet with substantial elimination of neuropathic pain. She notes that when she "cheats" and eats a sandwich, NP pain ramps up again.

Has anyone noted a relationship between NP pain and diet?

Thanks,

J Scott Richards, PhD
    University of Alabama at Birmingham

Yes, I definitely have since I developed IBS about 30 years ago, this was 4 years after my SCI. I have to be really careful what I eat and getting enough sleep helps out too. If I don't do either of these things it feels like blow torches are being taken to my legs and my lower belly. I am a complete t4 injury with no sensation below my chest.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I've found no correlation to my diet. Being a touch OCD, I have logged various factors and their impact on pain.

The most direct effect on my pain are weather and sleep. I have pretty severe Central Pain as well as other pain modalities and sleep extremely poorly. Weather, clearly out of personal control, can wreak havoc. Pain impacts sleep so it is a viscous circle, but when I get a few days of acceptable sleep it helps noticeably. Less the Central Pain, but more the nociceptive pain from multiple injuries and orthopedic repairs over time.

I am ambulatory Cauda Equina, Fused C2-3, multiple thoracic issues, Fused L345 S1,

kindly,

ket

I had a 95% reduction in pain after giving up gluten and grains. I minimize my dairy intake and eat no processed foods. I did this two years ago and never looked back. If I could only give up sugar!

Yes very much so. I've learned to eat very small meals and keep fat down. I order of effects.
    1. Food
    2. Weather
    3. Stress
    4. Sleep anyone of these will potentially set it off.

Hi,

I have got more info from this Thread. I has been very helpful for me. I expect more thread like this.

Thanks.