Thread: My dogs will meet a relative's service dog soon. Having anxiety. Advice please.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking My dogs will meet a relative's service dog soon. Having anxiety. Advice please.

How well behaved is your dog? If the service dog is properly trained, he/she will have very good manners when encountering another dog. Be sure your dog does too.

(KLD)

You should have made sure that your dogs were well socialized. The fact that the visiting dog is a service dog should not matter. We have 2 pomerianians that visit us on a regular basis and they have no problem with Ry's service dog. The small dogs understood very quickly (that cat helped) that Sweet has on and off time. When we take them all into the yard for play time, Sweet knows it is play time and not work time. When we go out, Sweet knows she is on duty and there is no play happening. The small dogs understand this. Hope this helps.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

My daughter has a terminal disease. I had to make a trip to care for her on two days notice and had to bring two small terriers and a new larger dog I rescued that had been abused. The large dog is like a 2 yr old toddler and smart but hardheaded and can be rough when playing. Her husband is in training out of state and will be back with his service dog in 2 months, hopefully. I do not want "should be or should of" answers. I would like to find a good home for the larger dog but have had my hands full and now I'm in a new place where I don't know the humane groups. All I can see is stress and strains on the family relationship.