Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VMI vs braun 2015

McDuff, I see now what you meant by the space inside being tight!

CFX - yeah that is my wonder too, how tight with two seats in there, and backing a B&D into the wheeling area. To get extra turning room, the front seats are on cantilever bases, and your feet can slide underneath the backside of them. You can kinda see it in the one pic of mine.

They are actually real proud of that shifter, it is on a sliding base up front, release a stopper and it can slide left or right. The reason is for people who drive from big powerchairs, or ride shotgun in them, by moving it to the opposite side, you gain extra room for the chair. Kinda cool idea, is a little weird when you are next to it. Might just be another thing to rattle down the road though.

Are you just going to drive your van to Braun? Seeing how it's "next door" to ya. Me, I have to budget for shipping charges if I do it your way, but is probably still worth it. Besides price, you can order/buy exactly what you want.

Hey Scorp, long time Bud! Hope all is going strong for ya, been hell for a couple years for me, think I'm on the far side of it now though, still healing from a flap surgery. Yeah, there is no spare room in there, but like I said earlier, if you drive from your chair, jump on it. It was easy in and turn, and enough room to back up and turn to come out forward. Just wish I could see one with a seat in it, not sure I'll wait for it, it will probably be late Fall before they really come out.

edit: hell, it just dawned on me that it won't work to well for me anyway, whenever we go out with friends I'm usually the driver and it is a logistical mess getting everybody in my van, would really be bad in the MXV. Plus my chair would be up against their knees the whole time. Think I just talked myself back into a van.
    Last edited by McDuff; 08-11-2015 at 10:09 PM.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

The dealer I'm working with will arrange the delivery to Indiana. We talked about working with either VMI or Braun. Remember VMI is closer to you McDuff.
    I think they would have charged around 1k to go to AZ for me. It is still cheaper to buy the van first. I was able to get a touring for 7k less than msrp. Braun was charging 35.6 for an EX-L and I was able to get a touring for 1k more. Also remember buying the van first will allow you to get mfg financing 0%-1.9% if buying the van already converted your financing a "used" vehicle and I'm sure the rates aren't as good.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Hey Scorp, long time Bud! Hope all is going strong for ya, been hell for a couple years for me, think I'm on the far side of it now though, still healing from a flap surgery. Yeah, there is no spare room in there, but like I said earlier, if you drive from your chair, jump on it. It was easy in and turn, and enough room to back up and turn to come out forward. Just wish I could see one with a seat in it, not sure I'll wait for it, it will probably be late Fall before they really come out.
    Oh no, so sorry to hear that, McDuff! But glad you're healing.

I'm doing well. I'll be better once I get used to my new van. I think I'm going to have to take it in for some hand control adjustments. Nothing's simple.

Sorry to post a negative first forum post, but I am contemplating a new van as well and do not have much good to say about VMI. I have a 2008 Honda Northstar (in-floor) conversion and my experience has not been good. Since the day it was new, the ramp actuation has been iffy. You name it, it did it. Extend part way and retract, hang up part way out, refuse to extend at all. I am on my 3rd control box (CPU) and second ramp motor. I disabled the kneel function because it had a tendency to get stuck in the down position. And this thing never sees snow. This year has been particularly bad as I've spend over $2600 at my dealer for repairs and have been without my vehicle for over a month. Anyway, rant off. Needless to say, I'm looking at a Braun fold-out conversion. Either the Chrysler or Honda, as the Toyota is pretty cramped inside. The Chrysler is the roomiest IMHO, but who knows if Chrysler is going to be in business in 5 years. The thread seems to indicate that Braun fold-out ramps are reliable, but I'd like to hear any comments, good or bad. Oh, by the way, T6 starting my 24th year.

2008 was the first year anyone did a Honda.

While we never sold one (by choice) we've gotten several of them squared away.

The newer or new ones are nothing like the 2008's

fwiw: Chrysler and Dodge vans have the same amount of space inside depending on the manufacture of the conversion.

Depending on your chair and needs the VMI Toyotas have more space than any conversion I've ever seen.

That being said iv'e seen Dodge/Chrysler vans work better for some people due to how the floor is cut in the back.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Sit-n-fly when I looked at the showroom VMI's they didn't impress me with their fit and finish. The vans looked like they were hurriedly put together and if they can't even get the body panels to line up or have the ramp not hit the door as it comes out. I can only imagine how the rest of their work is that we can't see.

The new toyota VMI does have a lot of room but moving the rear axle and raising the van off the chassis makes it look like its an entry into a monster truck competition. I'm sure the ride suffers and it looks horrible IMO.

If I was worried about cost and wanted a cheap van to get me places I would get the dodge/Chrysler braun fold out. Buy it from braun with 0% financing. I have never been a fan of the Dodge/Chrysler products just a lot of history that never had a happy ending. They are cheap and the room inside isn't bad.

I have sent my Odyssey to braun for the conversion they say 2-4 weeks. when I get it back I will give a better review of how they did. The one thing I don't like about Braun is that its a cookie cutter type operation and they will not talk to anyone but a dealer. When I talk to the dealer they even have a hard time talking to braun.

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    2008 was the first year anyone did a Honda.

While we never sold one (by choice) we've gotten several of them squared away.

The newer or new ones are nothing like the 2008's

fwiw: Chrysler and Dodge vans have the same amount of space inside depending on the manufacture of the conversion.

Depending on your chair and needs the VMI Toyotas have more space than any conversion I've ever seen.

That being said iv'e seen Dodge/Chrysler vans work better for some people due to how the floor is cut in the back.

Jim
    Jim,
    Thank you for the reply. If you weren't across the country, I'd come see you about getting my Honda up to snuff. Can you tell me what you do to the 2008 Honda to get it more reliable? My dealer has not had much luck and if there are some known issues, I'd sure like to pass them along. Even though I'm leaning toward Braun, I want VMI to succeed. IMHO, it's not good for anyone if Braun dominates the market.

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    Sit-n-fly when I looked at the showroom VMI's they didn't impress me with their fit and finish. The vans looked like they were hurriedly put together and if they can't even get the body panels to line up or have the ramp not hit the door as it comes out. I can only imagine how the rest of their work is that we can't see.

The new toyota VMI does have a lot of room but moving the rear axle and raising the van off the chassis makes it look like its an entry into a monster truck competition. I'm sure the ride suffers and it looks horrible IMO.

If I was worried about cost and wanted a cheap van to get me places I would get the dodge/Chrysler braun fold out. Buy it from braun with 0% financing. I have never been a fan of the Dodge/Chrysler products just a lot of history that never had a happy ending. They are cheap and the room inside isn't bad.

I have sent my Odyssey to braun for the conversion they say 2-4 weeks. when I get it back I will give a better review of how they did. The one thing I don't like about Braun is that its a cookie cutter type operation and they will not talk to anyone but a dealer. When I talk to the dealer they even have a hard time talking to braun.
    cfx, I hear you about Dodge/Chrysler. But here's the rub, I had a 1997 IMS Dodge that I kept for 128,000 miles and the thing never stranded me. I kept a bungee cord in it for the times when the power door cable would break so I could keep the door closed. The only thing that happened to the fold out ramp in 10 years was a support cable failure and I fixed that myself with a trip to Lowe's. But Braun bought IMS and that was that. I have looked at the Consumer Reports data on Chrysler vans now that Fiat bought them and the 2014 data is light years better than the old vans, so maybe they are turning things around. I'm 180 miles from the closest Braun/VMI dealer and I can't handle any maintenance on these new vans, so reliability is #1A for me. One question for you: Did you notice what the ground clearance is on the Braun Honda?

Honestly I couldn't tell you the difference in ground clearance. Looking at them they appeared to have about the same as the others.

As far as maintenance I would go with braun and the fold out ramp. If it fails it can still be used.