Thread: Icon Wheelchair Suspension Air Loss Problem

Icon Wheelchair Suspension Air Loss Problem

Has anyone ever experienced air loss in their Icon wheelchair suspension ? I love my chair as much as anything but I've noticed lately that it doesn't have the same bounce as it used to have. Almost none. I checked underneath the chair and found some sort of filler valve. Can I fill it with air ? If so....how much ? Thanks.

Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Blog Entries
    Indeed, much like tire inner tubes, the air bladder in a shock needs periodic topping off. Not often, but it is necessary.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

You will need a mountain bike shock pump, normal tyre pumps won't give the right pressure and don't have a way of letting small amounts of air out to fine tune.

It's a shame that Icons are so expensive. I might have considered buying one. With a few options and some Spinergy LX wheels mine came out to over $5800 CAD. I can get a much lighter Tilite ZRA2 for over $1000 less, and the Tilite appears that it would be much easier to enter and exit my car with the back folded down and rear wheels removed.

Though I don't like the looks of the Icon, I can appreciate the ingenuity of the design after watching the videos of Jeff Adams showing how to make all the adjustments on the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by fasdude View Post
    It's a shame that Icons are so expensive. I might have considered buying one. With a few options and some Spinergy LX wheels mine came out to over $5800 CAD. I can get a much lighter Tilite ZRA2 for over $1000 less, and the Tilite appears that it would be much easier to enter and exit my car with the back folded down and rear wheels removed.

Though I don't like the looks of the Icon, I can appreciate the ingenuity of the design after watching the videos of Jeff Adams showing how to make all the adjustments on the chair.
    fasdude,

The Icon is one of the most affordable chairs on the market! They've lowered their MSRP twice already, which is unprecedented in the industry. For all of its ingenuity, premium build and superior customer support, it may very well represent the best bang for the buck chair on the market. The discounted base price at Bike-On (where I work as a sales rep) is a very affordable $1995.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    fasdude,

The Icon is one of the most affordable chairs on the market! They've lowered their MSRP twice already, which is unprecedented in the industry. For all of its ingenuity, premium build and superior customer support, it may very well represent the best bang for the buck chair on the market. The discounted base price at Bike-On (where I work as a sales rep) is a very affordable $1995.
    what is the weight difference between the icon and the tr3? or what is the icons weight? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rAdGie View Post
    what is the weight difference between the icon and the tr3? or what is the icons weight? thanks
    I'm sure that the transfer weight (frame minus wheels) of the TR3 is lighter but by how much I don't know. I'm not sure how much stock to place in the published weights put out by some manufacturers. It all becomes a muddle anyway since the weight of the various components is not available.

with all the adjustability and components i would of thought it would be pretty heavy, especially to lift in and out the car all the time

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    fasdude,

I don't get it I went on the Iconwheelchairs.com website and priced it out. It starts at $3785 CAD and with a few options was over $5800. There was no mentions of discounts.