Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advance Course on Spinal Cord Injury

Advance Course on Spinal Cord Injury

This is a week long course, which will take place 12-19 September 2015.

Faculty:
    James Fawcett, University of Cambridge, UK
    Zhigang He, Harvard University, USA
    Martin Schwab, ETH and University of Zurich, Switzerland
    Phillip Popovich, Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
    Gregoire Courtine, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Switzerland
    Jerry Silver, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, USA
    Yishi Jin, University of California, San Diego, USA

http://www.nsas.it/spinal-cord-injury
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 07-18-2015 at 02:07 PM.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Good lord, that sounds fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    I agree! Unfortunately the registration fee is very high and could prevent many young researchers from participating
    http://www.nsas.it/registration-and-fees

You can have even better right here in the USA for less than 1/10th of the price charged in Italy. The big Asilomar conference is held every other year at Pacific Grove California. This is year 16 International Symposium on Neural Regeneration . Phil Popovich is the Chairman this year. Here's the AGENDA.

I was there at conference 15. Here's a little tiny portion of the speakers and what happened... It was awesome.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 07-19-2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    I agree! Unfortunately the registration fee is very high and could prevent many young researchers from participating
    http://www.nsas.it/registration-and-fees
    The cost of travel is even more than the fee for us international people too, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post

You can have even better right here in the USA for less than 1/10th of the price charged in Italy. The big Asilomar conference is held every other year at Pacific Grove California. This is year 16 International Symposium on Neural Regeneration . Phil Popovich is the Chairman this year. Here's the AGENDA.

I was there at conference 15. Here's a little tiny portion of the speakers and what happened... It was awesome.
    Grammy, are you going this year? My advisor has gone to Asilomar before, I hope that one of these years I can convince her to bring me along.

Grammy, are you going this year? My advisor has gone to Asilomar before, I hope that one of these years I can convince her to bring me along.
    I hope to. It's the best of the best. I believe there were around 375 scientists from around the world. I hope you can convince her to take you. It's second to none other. I went alone, but met other people there that I knew and made lots of new friends. (They even took me out whale watching during an afternoon break off Monterey Bay). The campus convention center is beautiful in a rustic California setting. I forgot to mention also, I think there were 64 posters during those presentations times. Seniors were on their feet helping Juniors in those segments. They helped walk everyone through the actual experiments and data that you may not readily understand. It was super helpful to have them there explaining many of the finer points. I loved the data blitz too. A word of warning...you start very early in the morning and finish working way late at night. It was exhausting but highly rewarding! I wouldn't trade my experiences there for anything.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 07-20-2015 at 02:31 PM. Reason: forgot to add info.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post

I know about the Asilomar conference and I think is really good, maybe as good as (or even better of) the Spinal Research Network meeting held in London every year.

I would like to point out that the "Advanced course on spinal cord injury" is a very different thing, see the format.

About the cost I don't know how it was determined, but I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that is in Italy. BTW the location where the course is held is a german speaking region that has special administration rules, practically is almost independent from Italy.

The cost of travel is even more than the fee for us international people too, unfortunately.

It depends on what you mean by "international". I suppose most of the people that will attend will be international people from Europe.
    I posted about this meeting as CC has members/followers from all around the world including researchers, so perhaps some of them could find it interesting and decide to partecipate.

I'm in the USA, so the travel cost is much more significant for me than anyone from Europe (I'm guessing).
    I do speak a little german though...since it's a German-speaking region of Italy, do they have German beer?

I would love to participate but the dates will interfere with the first month of my PhD studies. I guess I can't really complain about that though.

I'm in the USA, so the travel cost is much more significant for me than anyone from Europe (I'm guessing).
    I do speak a little german though...since it's a German-speaking region of Italy, do they have German beer?

I would love to participate but the dates will interfere with the first month of my PhD studies. I guess I can't really complain about that though.
    I am sure they have german beer, that's for sure is an extra incentive to partecipate for many people