Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing Wheelchairs

Standing Wheelchairs

A friend of ours is trying to learn as much as possible about specific standing wheelchairs for his son, C4/5. Please share what you know.

Thanks, Jim
    Last edited by Jim; 07-20-2015 at 10:32 AM.

My .02: I saw that 'common' manual standing wheelchair at a show the other year. I forget the name of it, but I believe it is produced by some outfit in MI or OH. It has been around since forever. Anyway, the demo at the show included the AB person seated in it triggering the standing function with the chair going from seated to full upright in milliseconds, while the person had a exaggeratedly big smile on her face. Upon witnessing that, thoughts of spasticity being triggered in the most annoying way filled my head. I asked if I could try it out and was promptly denied. I inquired as to the weight of that contraption and was quoted somewhere in the vicinity of 60lbs. After that in depth and informative demonstration, I filed it under 'useless', with the maker obviously having their own version of our reality and basing their product upon such. Well, that's my input. Maybe some of the power offerings might be more useful...

I recently bought a Helium standing manual chair, made in France by an acquired subsidiary of Permobil. I have only had it for about a week and a half but I'm very impressed so far. It has a pair of gas springs underneath that have to be selected very precisely to match the user's weight. My injury is c7 complete. My arms are pretty functional but have little hand grip. I weigh 165 lbs. It is easy for me to operate up and down. As delivered it weighed 46 pounds. These are not cheap. It cost me about $13,000 US. I didn't even try to get insurance to pay for it.

Blog Entries
    Jim, if your friend is interested in power stander, I might have some input to offer. Please let me know.

Randy,

He's interested in all standers, please advise.

Thanks!

ive got a standing wheelchair from the standing wheelchair company im a para mines all manual but they have power options theyve been super great to work with had mine 12 years or so

it is heavy theres no taking it anywere unless you have a lift or ramp van i just have a car but it is definitley worth researching i like mine its bullet proof any questions just ask
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Blog Entries
    The new Permomobil is out now in the US:http://www.permobilus.com/f5vs.php line
    invacare as one that might be converted to standing, but the PM has great seed elevation.
    Much better if we talk. Call me if you have my number. I'll try to p.m. you too.

Blog Entries

Further information I was going to share was about vendors and clinics in New Jersey. I would rather not post those names without their permission, but if someone needs assistance on that front, please feel free to PM me.

Otherwise, I suggest just doing a search here on ?standing wheelchairs? there are a lot of other companies, although I have chosen to above as best for me. There also is Redman, out in Seattle, can bring you a chair and say they have repair contractors throughout the country they brought me there chair and it was quite nice, although it did not have independent seats elevation either.I really like that; it is great to be at eye level, especially in a crowd. although the Redman standing mechanism is little different, so you might achieve the same elevation that way.

I don?t think Medicare will pay for standing. If you have Medicare you might have to talk with your vendor about that. So the factors I would consider our features you want, the availability of servicing over time, and what kind of insurance or other funding you may have. I have found none of the chairs is perfect on all fronts.

Please forgive the dragons speak. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Does know if there are any standers that are manual chairs or is that impossible to do?

Permobil Helium