Thread: PICC line discomfort with AD

PICC line discomfort with AD

Hello!

i have a picc line currently put in one week ago to treat MSSA osteomyelitis in my hip bone. The past 2 days, I've noticed some upper chest/neck discomfort only when I'm experiencing mild AD from other stimuli, and then it goes away a short time after the episode. I plan to consult the home health nurse about this, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this while on a picc line?
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Sorry to hear of your troubles and I hope you find some answers soon. Did they do an Xray or Ultrasound to check the picc line placement? I currently have one in place but they could only put in a midline (shorter one), I am finished with the antibiotics and expect it to be removed any day now. I have had several in the past to treat osteomyelitis in my right hip but have not experienced the discomfort and Ad you have. Since they just put it in I would definitely ask about the placement.
    ^^(A)^^

Thanks, Darty. It's been one hell of a ride getting the wound to heal which was the cause of osteo. They used some newer device that alerts them to where the line is placed, but no traditional x-Ray or ultrasound. The device may have X-ray or something similar and I'm just unaware. It looks like a Y shaped plastic device sits on the sternum.

My theory is the blood pressure going higher irritates the picc line and surrounding tissue....but I want to make sure I'm addressing it sooner if the symptoms sound critical.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Pressure ulcer/ wound could also be contributing to AD but have them check PICC insertion site for infection and placement/flow.CWO