Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CF Spinergy Wheels

holy shitballs batman! i have to sell my topolinos now :P although i would like to see a black option for the hub instead of the chrome.

I was at a vendor thing a few weeks ago, loved the weight and feel of the Topolinos. Main concern was cost to replace spoke. I get dings and chips on regular Spinergys due to use, fairly cheap to replace. What's the delta on replacing a Spinergy carbon spoke?

Really like those wheels, any word on price? Why only from Tilite? That's B.S. to me...

doh. What a waste of someone's hard-earned cash or even insurance money. Have you ever lifted a regular rim sans hub, tire, and spokes? There is absolutely nothing to it, I mean a new-born baby could lift it. And I'm willing to bet an LX hub with the milled-out portions is comparable in weight to this solid hub, with no risk of cracking or separation when jumping off the biggest curbs.

Anyone else notice the thickness of the rim? Why does it stick out so far outside of the tire? Ever pushed home on a flat tire? These would be scrap by the time you got there. Terrible, imo. Looks like toto wrapped an aluminum hub in carbon fibre fabric. (as was done to my Oracing's axle buttons and caster fork barrel caps. Both peeled off quickly)

The majority of weight of a wheelchair wheel is the push-rim. Build those from carbon fibre. Or just take them off and push from the tire if you're that concerned with weight..... <rolling my eyes> a fool and his money.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    The majority of weight of a wheelchair wheel is the push-rim. Build those from carbon fibre.
    I don't disagree, but by that logic, there'd also be no reason for the popularity of LXs.

TiLite's basic Shadow wheel only weighs 0.1 pound more than a LX wheel.

[QUOTE=tooley;1772847]doh. What a waste of someone's hard-earned cash or even insurance money. Have you ever lifted a regular rim sans hub, tire, and spokes? There is absolutely nothing to it, I mean a new-born baby could lift it. And I'm willing to bet an LX hub with the milled-out portions is comparable in weight to this solid hub, with no risk of cracking or separation when jumping off the biggest curbs.

Anyone else notice the thickness of the rim? Why does it stick out so far outside of the tire? Ever pushed home on a flat tire? These would be scrap by the time you got there. Terrible, imo. Looks like toto wrapped an aluminum hub in carbon fibre fabric. (as was done to my Oracing's axle buttons and caster fork barrel caps. Both peeled off quickly)

The majority of weight of a wheelchair wheel is the push-rim. Build those from carbon fibre. Or just take them off and push from the tire if you're that concerned with weight..... <rolling my eyes> a fool and his money.[/QUOTE

Sigh, there is so much I could say and explain to you right now tooley but I couldn't be arsed

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    doh. What a waste of someone's hard-earned cash or even insurance money. Have you ever lifted a regular rim sans hub, tire, and spokes? There is absolutely nothing to it, I mean a new-born baby could lift it. And I'm willing to bet an LX hub with the milled-out portions is comparable in weight to this solid hub, with no risk of cracking or separation when jumping off the biggest curbs.

The majority of weight of a wheelchair wheel is the push-rim. Build those from carbon fibre. Or just take them off and push from the tire if you're that concerned with weight..... <rolling my eyes> a fool and his money.
    Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    Sigh, there is so much I could say and explain to you right now tooley but I couldn't be arsed
    Go for it, Roller. I thought tooley raised important points. Play nice and let us know where your thinking differs.

BTW, Spinergy's LXL wheel is aluminum and nearly identical in design. It is available with round or optional bladed spokes (functionally identical). These should be listed on Spinergy's website shortly -- a web makeover is in the works.

I think the only real bonus with Spinergy's are the wide spoke spacing so you don't jam your fingers into the spokes when taking them off, but that's just me. Maybe durability too, mine have been going for 12 years just fine. Kind of wonder about a CF rim though, depending on grade, it may weigh more than an aluminum counterpart.