Thread: New York City hosts its first disability pride parade to honor 25th anniversary of Am

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

New York City hosts its first disability pride parade to honor 25th anniversary of Am

New York City hosts its first disability pride parade to honor 25th anniversary of Americans with Disabilities Act

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3flHXJh1X

I wonder where all those people in wheelchairs live... I guess I've never been to NYC post injury, perhaps I just wasn't paying attention, but it certainly seems like one of the most inaccessible cities in the country if not the world.

It's a goddamn shame that the ADA is 25 years old, but only 25% of the subway stations in the city are accessible. Not to mention countless apartment buildings which could be made so by a few feet of ramp or a (consistently working) elevator.

Left NYC in 74 due to inaccessibility. Back then 0% of subway stations were accessible, there were no lifts on buses, almost no curb cuts, and cabs would speed up when they saw the chair. We lived in low income housing with a fold up, homemade ramp which was chained to a railing, folded and placed in the bushes when not in use. The NYC Housing Authority considered the ramp a hazard and wanted it removed. At the time they had no legal obligation to supply a ramp and absolutely no intention to do so. We attended classes and worked using our personal vehicles - handicapped parking permits were so new that we kept getting parking tickets while parked in the few handicapped spaces. Spent loads of time drawing diagrams and writing letters to get tickets dismissed.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Did any other City celebrate 25 years of ADA ?

Did anybody outside of NYC ?