Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: My Smartdrive MX2

Quote Originally Posted by mishahu View Post
    ...clip... why doesn't the system allow me to insert images?...clip...
    I started having trouble too with insert images. But what did work is to go to "Go Advanced" and then to "Attachments". I have to press "Attachments" several times, pausing each time, but eventually the familiar box that says "Upload Files" and "browse" shows up.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by mishahu View Post
    Yes. I'm having success by giving a firm push on one wheel for a twisting motion. With the change of direction - even less than 30 degrees - the Smatdrive swivelling seems to be sensed as extra acceleration than with trying for a greater forwards push and engages the motor or if already on goes to the next speed. I have been achieving 3rd speed with this method.

I had that too, but now once I have my casters on the ramp and the chair is stopped (or just moving slowly) giving just a slight push engages the motor. This is easier is where there's a dip before the kerb ramp that gives an assist.
    Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the tips. I wish I had read this sooner. I will try that twisting idea - pushing hard on one side. Every day I have trouble with engaging my SmartDrive and it really frustrates me. I guess I just need a lot of help with technical things. Have a doctor's appointment in a little while. I'll have the chance to try your suggestions.

I tried pushing hard on one side to engage the motors and I didn't find it successful. Pushed and pushed trying to engage the motor. Wouldn't do it. Eventually I always get it to engage but not at the moment I need it. As usual the drive had no problem deciding I wanted to drive 55 when it got near my front door. Argh. I hope one day I figure it out.

I'm having great success engaging the motor, even on inclines and thick carpet. (I never used to wear a glove but have found having it on gives a better grip.) Also, I've taken it up through 4 speeds on flat surfaces. Stopping the motor is reliable and only needs a slight wrist movement. The direction of that movement is quite specific and it has become natural for me to keep my gestures limited to what won't make the switch. Examples are weight shifts on the move, scratch nose, adjust things in my lap etc. Sneezing though ... Indeed a vigorous weight shift while on the move often engages the next speed which is quite useful on inclines.

Hitting the fifth speed is too much in most instances unless it's a very firm, straight and even surface with no people around.

I love my Smartdrive; it has already made a great difference to my life. If only it had been available 20 years ago.

Is it too soon to speculate on the MX2+? Gestures rather than pushes to change the state of the motor. A gesture to resume speed, especially useful in the case of unintended switching off on an incline. Revert to MX1 indoor mode so a flat wristband doesn't completely spoil the day.
    Last edited by mishahu; 09-23-2015 at 02:39 AM.

I think it could help me if I could see video of other SmartDrive users. I don't know if anyone is willing or able. A few years ago I made a SmartDrive video with my first generation SD.

Last edited by grommet; 09-23-2015 at 02:06 PM.

What is it you want to see specifically ?

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    What is it you want to see specifically ?
    I want to see how other people are getting the drive to engage. I use my SD every day and I do make it work but I struggle so much figuring out the pattern it's looking for to engage. Seeing other people stop and start in various conditions might help me.

I will see what I can do over the next week or so, but having watched your video, physically you are probably better than me, and I don't do anything special to make the drive work. I don't recognize the issues you mention. The only thing I know is to push and then pause, at which point the motor kicks in or goes up to the next speed. What made a lot of difference for me was putting silicone rubber covers on the push rims which means more of the push is translated into force compared to just gloves alone

I have new pushrims arriving today. The ones I have now have some kind of brushed finish that is slippery as heck and I've never seen in 20 years. Hopefully the anodized ones will be more like what I am used to.

I don't know what my problem is with getting the drive to engage. For me it's so unpredictable. Sometimes I push and nothing happens, other times it engages, other times it engages at high speed or very low speed. I'll be stuck at the low speed and push hard, I move forward slow down and the motor is still pushing at slow speed. Other times this does not happen. If my description is confusing maybe it is because it is describing the odd pattern I am actually experiencing. I don't think there's anything wrong with the SD, I think there is something I haven't figured out. I do have another idea about it's height geometry as it's attached to my chair. I do have another mount to try but haven't been able to try it yet. Maybe it will make all the difference. I would like to have a level bubble on the drive with indicator lines so when the drive is mounted and the chair on a level surface the bubble has to be between the lines. Then I would know I have it mounted correctly.

I make my SD work every day but it's still a bit like ghost-in-the-machine for me, don't know for sure what it will do. By the way that video is old, made with the first series of SD and with my own switches installed. My current SD is the upgrade and I think better though I very much miss the boost start you could get with the original. One thing can't be all things and the SmartDrive is pretty good :-)

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    ...clip...I don't know what my problem is with getting the drive to engage. For me it's so unpredictable. Sometimes I push and nothing happens, other times it engages, other times it engages at high speed or very low speed. I'll be stuck at the low speed and push hard, I move forward slow down and the motor is still pushing at slow speed....clip...
    I had one do that. The next one worked fine.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.