Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My Smartdrive MX2

[QUOTE=Gordy1;1773882...clip...Whilst the MX-1 (or 2) doesn't use exactly the same battery, I would think more charging is better than less.[/QUOTE]
    More maybe not better. I can't find the lithium battery FAQ I want, so I'll just comment as I remember.

One of the items was that they say don't keep the batteries topped up, but rather top them off right before using them. I suppose the night before would be about the same thing. This is contrary to what we've been taught with other types of rechargeable batteries.

Heat is another. Tesla ran into some issues in Arizona with folks parking in non A/C garages and having their batteries fail. The recommendation is to store lithium batteries in a cool place.

Long term storage is the most confusing. Normally you would expect to have a trickle charge, but that is absolutely wrong. On the other hand if the charge drops too low, they will self destruct.

The MX2 user manual has an error. It states 30% when the number I usually see is 60%. Although I recharge and let it drop instead. Here is the MX2 wording:
    "Long-term storage of the batteries [more than three months] reduces its capacity through spontaneous discharge. Charge the battery to at least 30% before you store it long-term, and avoid storing the unit where the temperature is too high or high humidity."
    Last edited by nonoise; 07-26-2015 at 02:36 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Personally I'd put it on charge every night, overnight.
    It's would be a hassle bringing it from the car every day. And before you say it ... there isn't a power point that I can use in the garage.

Keeping in the car it best for me as most of my use is not from home. Twice a week should be sufficient for my usage pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by mishahu View Post
    It's would be a hassle bringing it from the car every day. And before you say it ... there isn't a power point that I can use in the garage.

Keeping in the car it best for me as most of my use is not from home. Twice a week should be sufficient for my usage pattern.
    I think your method matches what I read on "endless sphere" the E-bicycle etc. forum.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by mishahu View Post

No worries...whatever works best for you...I just wanted to ensure that anyone reading your post didn't think that letting the battery discharge completely before recharging it was a good idea (and I'm not saying that was the intent of your post...).
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I think your method matches what I read on "endless sphere" the E-bicycle etc. forum.
    I think I can find endless different charging recommendations for lithium batteries online! I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but am happy with the way the firefly battery is holding up so far.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Full charge overnight. Went on 5.5 Km (3.5) mile walk. Mostly level but 2 very steep rises each about 200 metres. Notable along the way:

At times very difficult to get the motor to start even on level ground.

At times motor starts with very slight push

Occasions when the motor starts ... stalls after moment with wristband vibration ... vibrate / kick / stall in up to 5 sequences over about 20 seconds with vibrations then stop.

Occasions when motor starts and in the space of about 15 seconds wristband vibrates and goes to next speed through 5 changes without any extra pushes.

Uphill number 1 motor stopped ... turned to give a sideways push to restart and turned to take the hill with the least possible hand movement and made it at lowest speed. Uphill number 2 it stopped and I couldn't get going again so asked for a push. On level ground again couldn't get motor to start.

Need coffee!!! Getting to cafe downstairs, the elevator has a mirror and I noticed that only one light was showing. This after 2 hours out. Switched off during drink. When turned back on there were 3 lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    I think I can find endless different charging recommendations for lithium batteries online! I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but am happy with the way the firefly battery is holding up so far.
    Charge and use like your son does matches what they say on "Endless Sphere" I paraphrased them below: "...but rather top them off right before using them. I suppose the night before would be about the same thing...."

General question regarding the Smartdrive MX1 and 2. How does it do on gravel? I live in Arizona where the majority of peoples lawns are gravel instead grass, including my own. Sorry if I put this in the wrong place, couldn't decide what thread to put this question in.

Quote Originally Posted by abcoltsfan View Post
    General question regarding the Smartdrive MX1 and 2. How does it do on gravel? I live in Arizona where the majority of peoples lawns are gravel instead grass, including my own. Sorry if I put this in the wrong place, couldn't decide what thread to put this question in.
    I avoid having MX1 turned on in gravel, don't know why off the top of my head. The instructions say to avoid it. Traction won't be good in loose stuff and the sensor on MX1 will probably turn it off anyway.

edit: as noted above MX2 might do better with sensor relocated.
    Last edited by nonoise; 07-28-2015 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abcoltsfan View Post
    How does it do on gravel?
    Going over rough surfaces gives a rough ride. There is less traction but it does give assistance. The amount of assistance will depend on the depth of the gravel and size of the pieces.