Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My Smartdrive MX2

The smart drive is too flat and not at a high enough angle. Max Mobility support will be able to tell you how to change the clamp connection to correct this. Basically, you need to flip the clamp so the smart drive will be connected above the bar. I have the max mobility tech person's number in the states that can give you directions on how to do this, if you want it. I'm assuming its the same for a folding chair as with rigid in how to make the change.

Is there any chance the mounting bracket is upside down? They keep changing them a little.
    And I've changed my mind about a sensor being in the drive unit or not. They may have one there as an anti-tip over device which would be a good thing. But if so it seems to be set quite soon.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by josieand1 View Post
    ... too flat and not at a high enough angle ... flip the clamp so the smart drive will be connected above the bar
    Thanks. After reading your post I looked at the instructions for the bar and found it hadn't been set up correctly. I fixed that and also had my supplier create an attachment point at the same level as the axle.

Today I went to an appointment where usually I wait for an elevator up a storey, but wheeled up the path instead. Hooray!

Meantime the bluetooth wristband broke (see pic). It's a two-handed job putting it on anyway so am going to a watchmaker to find a solution. Probably a magnetic latch or Velcro.

Great review of your MX2. The wristband breaking was one the biggest concerns I had for the new model. I wonder if this will become an issue and keep people from getting the new model. Curious to see what Max comes up with to replace or repair the bands, if they need to. I know they have good customer service.

A problem is I have to get it on and off with one hand. The largest went over my hand but I couldn't do the clip, and kept tightening it by pulling with my teeth. The rubber is pretty soft and it gave way after only a couple of days.

I've rigged the smaller one with a rubber band to strech over my hand, which mostly works well but as it's loose on my wrist it often bumps my handrim and switches the motor off unintended. It would be great to have an Apple Watch type band that holds with a magnet.

There are still some things to get used to, like keeping minimal hand movements once the motor is engaged on a steep incline so it won't switch off. Also the startling unintended accelerations sometimes, but that also happened with the MX1.

For the former, I will try to get a test of the accessory button that gives a constant low speed when pressed.

Yesterday was a local market with steep paths through a park. The only problem was when I was trying to cross a damp grassy incline and the wheel couldn't gain traction. I also did the supermarket again, and with the drive now properly positioned was able to take the trolley up that incline mentioned earlier.

Today I went alone on a 3km round trip in my local area ... about 15% was sections I normally need to ask for some assistance; about 50% were sidewalks/kerbs off my normal route that I would not have been able to go to alone at all, and would make a walk with a companion tedious for both of us.

Yesterday two venues with heavy carpets.

I found it difficult to give enough of a push to get the motor to start. When it did start it would quickly turn off. This happened many times, and did not seem to coincide with hand movements that would switch it. And a few times it did it's Road Runner thing and took off through the gears to high speed.

The first moments almost feel like MX1+ indoor mode, sensing resistance and stopping. In this initial impetus stage the motor gives a series of tentative starts and wristband vibrations before conking out (on firm ground as well).

Saturday - 2 Km; approx 4 hours switched on. Sunday - 3 Km; 1 hour . Monday - Carpeted indoors approx 100 m total; 30 minutes. Wednesday - 500 m; 4 hours. Thursday ditto. Friday - 500 m; half hour. Saturday - 2 km; 3 hours.

So over eight days I estimate I've travelled maybe 10 km been switched on for approximately 17 hours.

At the end of using it today it was showing one blue light of charge and giving a series of beeps with the motor acting erratically. The message is that even if it's not being used in distance I must charge it regularly. Probably twice a week would give reliable performance. Also I should have it switched off when it's not being used - the example of this is Wednesday and Thursday were a seminar where I was mostly sitting at a desk.

mishahu great reporting, thanks for all the detailed information :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mishahu View Post
    ...clip...So over eight days I estimate I've travelled maybe 10 km been switched on for approximately 17 hours....
    10K is a little over 6 miles, seems like it should be good for most everyone's daily needs, if not MX1 has a battery that matches those for bicycles.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by mishahu View Post
    The message is that even if it's not being used in distance I must charge it regularly. Probably twice a week would give reliable performance.
    Personally I'd put it on charge every night, overnight. This is what we've done with my son's firefly lithium battery (which uses e-bike batteries), and it still seems as good as new (it's over 2.5 years old, and used almost daily). Compare that to another firefly user that we know...their battery gradually died over about 6 months, probably because they were waiting until it was flat before charging it again.

Whilst the MX-1 (or 2) doesn't use exactly the same battery, I would think more charging is better than less.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.