Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 121

Thread: My Smartdrive MX2

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Anyhow, I thought I'd mention what happened and see what everyone else thinks about the SD being able to shut itself down in an accident.
    Yep had a couple of similar experiences including one when a pair of automatic doors closed as I was half way through, when I put my arms up to stop them but they stopped me, and I ended up facing the sky but balanced neatly on the handle of the SmartDrive somehow. It stopped then too, which is just as well as I would have looked a bit daft hurtling along the hospital corridor that way up with members of my own staff chasing me!

  2. #102
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691
    Was the SmartDrive in Outdoor mode?

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Was the SmartDrive in Outdoor mode?
    Yep. I've had a few unscheduled sky viewings and the smart drive stopped each time

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    . . . sky viewings . . .
    lol (I've never heard it called that before. Good one!)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  5. #105
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Yep. I've had a few unscheduled sky viewings and the smart drive stopped each time
    Yeah, that is a good one :-)

    Were you in Outdoor mode when that happened? It's what I am trying to figure out, if the SD is designed to shut off under certain conditions even in Outdoor mode. By the way, I don't want any more sky viewings ;-)

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    ... reach in to my backpack ... braking with the other hand ... while turning a corner.
    Like in my post #87 that's a word for the unwise. Seems like most times I get into trouble it's entirely my fault. Only one fall so far but a few close calls. I'm glad you didn't get any lasting injury.

    One thing I'm wary of now is going into a bump/kerb ramp lip etc on an angle. The energy of the drive goes into the high side before it returns to all wheels equally. The chair twists sideways pivoting on the low caster especially if the low caster hasn't cleared the bump. The feeling is that I'm about to be tipped sideways out of the chair. My reflex intitially is to grab the handrim before remembering to tap off.

    Does all that make sense? Some of this force could be because by centre of gravity is set to extreme passive and the SD behind that due to the one arm drive axle.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Yeah, that is a good one :-)

    Were you in Outdoor mode when that happened? It's what I am trying to figure out, if the SD is designed to shut off under certain conditions even in Outdoor mode. By the way, I don't want any more sky viewings ;-)
    Yep always in outdoor, I find indoor a waste of time, if I need SD indoors it's because I'm on carpet and it cuts out anyway. I'm pretty sure that there is a cut out, as certainly when I've misjudged a bump and not lifted the castors enough and gone into the side of it halting abruptly it cuts out. I would guess the same mechanism, by accident or design is operating on the other occasions.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by mishahu View Post
    Like in my post #87 that's a word for the unwise. Seems like most times I get into trouble it's entirely my fault. Only one fall so far but a few close calls. I'm glad you didn't get any lasting injury.

    One thing I'm wary of now is going into a bump/kerb ramp lip etc on an angle. The energy of the drive goes into the high side before it returns to all wheels equally. The chair twists sideways pivoting on the low caster especially if the low caster hasn't cleared the bump. The feeling is that I'm about to be tipped sideways out of the chair. My reflex intitially is to grab the handrim before remembering to tap off.

    Does all that make sense? Some of this force could be because by centre of gravity is set to extreme passive and the SD behind that due to the one arm drive axle.
    I've never really noted that. I'm not entirely sure what you mean By the COG is set to extreme passive but guess you mean very untippy. I have my rear wheels quite far back and so the COG is quite far back too

  9. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hampstead NC
    Posts
    1,099
    Mishahu, Lithium batteries are not all created equal. I prefer LiFePO4 but you must be aware these batteries do not lose their "Voltage" as Lead/Acid Batteries (Pb) they drain off their amperage until near spent when the "Voltage" finally drops. By that time you have very little time to stop using them, before you damage them.

    A Pb battery will give you an effective 50% of total battery Amperage/hours due to the internal resistance of the chemical exchange within the battery. So your 55-AH battery gives you an effective 27-28 amp hours. Straight going in a power wheel chair is the most effective use of the amperage available. LiFePO4 batteries will give you nearly all of the Amp Hours available in them. Due to the lack of internal resistance in the cells themselves. But trying to read a battery that maintains its voltage such as LiFePO4 batteries do makes using the little lights useless. There are chargers that "record" the replaced amps, using this and "knowing" the distances covered you can figure out just how far you can travel, you can eventually learn just how far you can push your distances you can travel without damaging your chair.

    Now travel distance equals running time, this "may" be a better unit of measurement of you travel the same routes daily. Let's say you operate at 4 Mph and it takes you 2 hours daily at that 4 Mph speed, That is 8 miles and you have a programmable recording charger, you replace X amps this gives you your depth of discharge, and you can now realize exactly how far you can travel if one day you must extend your rate of daily travel, you can still know just how far you can extend your trip without running out o power and possibly damaging your cells.

    However most of these batteries "come with" a BMS (Battery Management System) which in my opinion is a sure way to experience failure such as you describe. This limits the ability to demand too many amps (power) when you require them. If I might advise you refer to refer to www//WheelChairDriver.com or Battery University.com. However Wheel Chair driver has several users who have real time experience with the daily use of these Lithium battery systems
    Last edited by Bob Sullivan; 01-23-2016 at 12:15 PM.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean By the COG is set to extreme passive ...
    I am double leg amputee so don't have weight if front, so rear wheels are set back.

Similar Threads

  1. Smartdrive new model?
    By mishahu in forum Equipment
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 02-24-2016, 03:56 PM
  2. Smartdrive for weak or one arm
    By mishahu in forum Equipment
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-18-2015, 04:11 AM
  3. Can the SmartDrive be used on an Icon?
    By grommet in forum Equipment
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-13-2014, 08:42 AM
  4. My SmartDrive
    By nonoise in forum Equipment
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-21-2013, 08:28 PM
  5. Just demo'd SmartDrive
    By grommet in forum Equipment
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-29-2013, 02:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •