Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: My Smartdrive MX2

Starting the motor is almost no effort - more of a push than without SD due to the weight plus that little extra to engage. Sorta like pushing up a 1:18 ramp without SD. Although it doesn't always start as readily as with the second bluetooth.

I've noticed also a drop in connectivity - the motor stopping with a beep occasionally. Again these issues hark back to my original problems. Probably this wrist unit - my original - will have to be replaced.

I have some feedback from my dealer on the battery lights issue and will report when it's clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by mishahu View Post
    ...clip...
    After a full overnight charge, a trip of 4 kilometres lasting a couple of hours often leaves only one light showing. clip...
    From MM web page:

• Battery: LiFePO4 ? 36 V & 3.4 Ah

3.4 Ah is like half of the MX1 capacity. Voltage is good for speed, but that can be limited by the controller.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    From MM web page:

• Battery: LiFePO4 ? 36 V & 3.4 Ah

3.4 Ah is like half of the MX1 capacity. Voltage is good for speed, but that can be limited by the controller.
    Yep, 240 Watt-hours for the MX-1 vs. 122 Wh for the the MX-2..

And yet the range for the MX-1 was listed at 8 miles and the range claimed for the MX-2 is 12.3 miles.

That's hard to understand...
    Doh!

Mark is a great guy but the information put out by Max Mobility is sometimes confusing. The last time I checked they still listed (on the MX-1) the drive weighing 11lbs and the battery at 8lbs. It's the reverse, I've weighed them. Also the suggested mileage on the MX-1 as 10 miles. I feel like that's what I've been getting though I can't say I ever took it 10 miles straight on a flat surface. Anyhow, great equipment but I really wish Mark would have new programming for the MX-1 I have. Just makes me crazy sometimes trying to get it to respond. Heck, every time I use it I have the problem. I guess nothing can be perfect. I know I'm not.

It appears the MX1 is history.
    http://www.max-mobility.com/
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

wow........I just messed with my mx2, its night and day from my mx1. no comparison. I effortlessly operate this Bluetooth. engages so much easier and zero bump stop. bravo Mark.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

To recap:

My first MX2 was completely replaced due to strange behaviour described early in this thread - difficult to start, unreliable stop, sudden acceleration, frequent stopping etc - enumerated in post #44.

All was going well with set #2 except that the wristband battery drained extremely quickly. That wristband was swapped back to the original one, on the assumption that it was the drive unit that was causing the problems.

With wristband #1 and drive #2, the behaviour issues reappeared. We have now put battery #1 into wrist unit #2 and wristband battery life and behaviour appear to be good.

In the meantime, as mentioned earlier, with the wrist unit lasting longer I note that the battery indicator lights are running down to only one after not much use. Feedback from the dealer suggests that early motor circuit boards my have a fault resulting the battery report being wrong - so the charge may be good but the lights aren't correctly reporting it. Waiting on tech advice from Max as to whether the circuit board will be replaced.

What I should do is take it on full charge on a continuous ride to measure the distance before it conks out. There's a park with a 4km walking circuit that I might do one weekend before the summer gets too hot.

I agree, the "gas" gauge lights may be misleading. It's different, but the owners manual of my 2005 3/4 ton van warns that the gas gauge is not accurate.

I finally got to take my SD out to give it a good test on a full overnight charge. I went to a local park and used the Runtastic app to check distances and speeds.

From my car to the beginning of the walking circuit was 660 metres. The circuit is 3.8 kilometres.

I stopped at the end of each circuit to check the battery lights.

After 4.46 km there were 4 lights.
    After 8.26 km there were still 4 lights
    After 12.06 there were still 4 lights.

Speeds during these circuits averaged 7kph with a high of 13!

On the 4th circuit I was tootling along at high speed and after 3km stopped to chat to someone for a couple of minutes. Restarting, the motor stopped after a few metres ... I looked back and there were no lights showing. Switch off and back on and it went a few metres at low speed and stopped.

So in the space of 2.5 hours and 15 km the battery was completely flat. The battery indicator did not reflect the usage, and dropped completely from full to zero in the space of 3km and 15 minutes. This compares to the published specs are that the drive should travel 12 miles (19.3 km).

It seems that the high speed is greater than spec, but the distance considerably less. In any case I would not expect to travel that distance in my regular routine but on holidays would demand higher performance. The battery indicator is the bigger issue.

The indicator in this instance was the opposite of my other experience where it often shows low charge after very short use. I wonder whether I'd get 15 Km if I continued to use it in this circumstance. That will have to wait for a trial on another day..

There's a confidentiality notice on the local distributor's response so I won't go into detail but it seems that lithium ion batteries have particular patterns of discharge behaviour that affects reporting and that future development of the technology is hoped to improve that.

Fell over backwards and SD stopped itself in Outdoor mode

I fell in my hallway as I was trying to go out. I have carpet in my home so I use Outdoor mode and I never have a problem - I am really quick with the button. When I fell backwards all I could think was I need to get to the button to stop the SmartDrive, it's going to go crazy but even though it was in Outdoor mode it stopped the motor. It took a while to get up again but when I looked under the chair I saw that the drive had rolled off the mount. I think Mark designed it that way. The motor was on it's side still attached to the battery but it had stopped the wheel turning. I was really relieved. I think this is a built-in feature but I don't know for sure.

It's the first time I've fallen over in a long time - I was trying to reach in to my backpack for my door opener as I was braking with the other hand while turning a corner. Too many things in motion at once and my COG was different with me reaching back and yep, I felt the weightless feeling and saw ceiling.

It's going to hurt for a few days, it always does. I start finding sore places in a few hours and wake up with them but I am really glad the SD helped me out when I screwed up. Oh just felt my right wrist, yep must have landed on that. Anyhow, I thought I'd mention what happened and see what everyone else thinks about the SD being able to shut itself down in an accident.